Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

.338 Fed or .358 Win

WoodsQuest

Both these cartridges seem very similar, ballistically. The 338 seems to be a little faster and the only difference between it and the .358 is bore size. Which one is a better round to load for and use for all around big game use? I'm in the north east so I don't have the opportunity to take extremely long range shots. The farthest I've calculated external ballistics out to is 350yd.

The two are pretty close on performance out to 250yrds or less.
I think the .338 has a better and bigger bullet selection to choose from for the reloader.
I have a little interest in the .338 federal myself. It is an impressive cartridge for power and comes in rifles designed for easy, quick handling.
I haven't fired either cartridge yet, but hope to this summer with a friend that is purchasing one this spring.
I am looking forward to working up loads for him too.

If I were to take this plunge I'd be rebarreling a short action. I don't think I need the power and recoil of the win mag.

I want to push them through a 20in tube and wonder if the slightly larger bore would be more efficient.

338 fed. For the same reason i am building a 338-06 instead of a 35 whelen. Bullet selection is far greater for 338 cal.

Maybe a dumb question but for the recoil involved with both, why not a short magnum? If limited to those two I think id pick the .338 for ammo and bullet selection. Though the .358 makes big holes in eastern whitetails. I think browning still chambers rifles in it if you didn't want to rebuild. Gunner46 on here did a .338 rebuild, he'd be a good one to ask.

I've found the following .35 bullets:
Barnes- 180 & 200 TTSX, 200 & 225 TSX
Nosler- 225 AB, 225 & 250 Partition
Speer- 180, 220 & 250 Hot Cor
Hornady- 200 FTX, 200 & 250 Interlocks.

Seems out of those there a number of good bullets to chose from. Which one will do better out of a short barrel? Wouldn't the larger bore be more efficient?

Maybe a dumb question but for the recoil involved with both, why not a short magnum? If limited to those two I think id pick the .338 for ammo and bullet selection. Though the .358 makes big holes in eastern whitetails. I think browning still chambers rifles in it if you didn't want to rebuild. Gunner46 on here did a .338 rebuild, he'd be a good one to ask.

I don't want to mess with changing bolt heads. Id be doing this on a Ruger 77. I don't want to totally reconfigure the action and magazine.

I figure for each I could develop a good load using the 160 or 180 TTSX around 2400fps for whitetail. Lower recoil and plenty of punch for whitetail inside 200. Then if I go into the mountains or bear country I can re-zero with a full power load.

Last edited:
I'm sure it is. What I mean is bore diameter to barrel length. Typically the larger the bore the more efficient the powder burn is in shorter barrels. Basically you lose less velocity when chopping down. The .308 is pretty efficient so either of these would be more efficient. I'm just trying to figure out which one makes the most sense.

If by efficient you mean higher vocities with equal weight bullet then yes. However usually for accuracy the bigger bore neads a heavier bullet typically.

Between the 2, I'd choose the 338 Fed. IMO more and better bullet options in the weights that I'd use. My first look would be 200gr Nosler Ballistic tips (have to get the made for Winchester Ballistic Silvertip) and 200gr Accubond.

You didn't mention if you handload. If you don't, I wouldn't suggest either of these. I'd suggest a 308.

Last edited:
At those speeds I would go with traditional cup/core or bonded bullets and stay away from barnes...not looking for fight about bullets but have had the experiance Barnes work better out of faster calibers.

C

At those speeds I would go with traditional cup/core or bonded bullets and stay away from barnes...not looking for fight about bullets but have had the experiance Barnes work better out of faster calibers.

C

You have me curious now, what issues have you experienced with the Barnes? And is it at slower speeds, longer distances, failure to expand, loss of accuracy? No fight on my end, just curious what you have experienced.

Back