.338 Fed or .358 Win

I'd like a 318 WR, personally. Neat cartridge and cool history. I do enjoy my 33 WCF. It's a fun gun to hunt with (Winchester Model 86) and I'd be happy with shots out to 200 yards. Finding the flat-nose 200 grainers is a problem though.
Have you tried the gummy tipped Hornady's yet? That might be fun.

I'd probably opt for a 333 OKH over the 318... ;)

Have you tried the gummy tipped Hornady's yet? That might be fun.

I'd probably opt for a 333 OKH over the 318... ;)

Nothing wrong with that, or the 9x63 either. ;)

'm not terribly interested in the gummy bear bullets. if Barnes could crack a recipe on copper that performs below 1800 fps, and made them in a flat point, then I'd be there. Until then, I have a few hundred cast and about 100 of the old Hornady FN.

The Cutting Edge would be perfect in the lever gun. I'll puick up 50 and see how they perform.

MTmuley, I'm going to reach out to Hammer for some .318 coppers for my 8x57J & 8x57JR. The tip profile on the Hammers is too sharp for the lever gun, unfortunately.

check out speers data on the .338 fed. max load for 200gr hot cor is 2700fps with alliant power pro varmint and 2550 fps with 225 gr with alliant power pro 2000

I load 200gr hc for my 16 1/2" frontier and 210gr partitions.

im losing velocity with the short barrel but im probably still getting around 2500fps with the speer data. it isn't a real long range load in my rifle, but id be comfortable out to 250yards. longer barreled rifle would be just fine past 300 yrds with these loads.

Back