Driving to Alaska

Yotkilr

Looking for some input from some who have driven to Alaska for a hunt from the lower 48. Thinking it would be a lot cheaper to drive up for our moose hunt this September but not sure how hard it is to get firearms thru the border and with any luck meat and antlers back again. i'm guessing there is some paperwork involved? If you have everything filled out correctly is it smooth sailing? Would it be easier for the firearms to be shipped up instead of bringing with in truck? We do have a friend that is living in AK that could get them for us ahead of time. There will be 2 of us driving up from ND so about 2,600 miles one way to where we will be starting so about 2 full days of driving non stop. Did you think it was worth the savings and in our case with limited vacation time loosing about 2 more days of hunting due to extra travel? we have 14 days total for travel and hunting. Thanks in advance for the info I'm sure I'll think of more questions

2 days of driving isn't enough time. With no stops you'd have to average over 54 miles per hour and IMO that's not realistic. Stopping to eat, fuel and whatever will eat 2 hours/day. That means your average speed has to be 60 mph. Road construction delays on the AK Highway are the norm during warm weather.
You'll need a form from the Canadian govt to transport your guns thru Canada. It can be printed off their website. I'd do one for each of you. Long guns should be no problem, but handguns are a no-no (takes a different form and a lot of hoops to jump through.
If you were going to stop overnight, I'd consider putting a freezer in the back of the truck. Keep it plugged in while hunting, store the meat inside (when you get back) and plug in overnight.

Border Crossing with rifles/shotguns is not that hard if you have your ducks in a row prior to arriving at the port. Also, plan on parking and getting out and walking into the border station it takes a bit of time, but they are used to it and get you back on your way in short order. Meat shouldne't be an issue either. Keep all harvest tags with you along with evidence of sex etc, and try to document origin as best you can. I came through with a little bit of meat when I moved back down from Alaska. Was asked about it at the US border after driving through Canada, but the agent didn't press the issue.

I would also echo that statement that (2) days for the whole trip up will be a slog. But some people have more stamina for driving than I do.

thanks guys. Yes i meant around 2 days. GPS says 46 hours. I do a lot of driving long distances and can usually beat the GPS's time or be right on including stops (I may have a bit of a heavy foot). my truck is set up well for long hauls with a 70 gallon tank can usually make it over 1,000 miles on a tank. Would be two of us so could take turns driving, but i do understand the construction could slow us down a lot depending how much they are doing so that will be the gamble on how much longer it takes us. Gary thanks for adding yes was definitely going to bring a freezer with and i have an inverter in box so can keep it running the whole time back. Thanks

i flew up and drove back to NY with my brother-in-law, it's a fun drive. crossing with rifles isn't a huge issue like Frenchy said call ahead get everything in a row first. call both boarder agencies and document what they ask of you as well as what the website says.

I would leave from work to get as much extra time as you can and throw an extra gas can in the truck just in case. we did it in july so no clue what things will be like in september as far as fuel stops if you get somewhere needing fuel at 2am.

I've driven two times to northern BC, about 2 1/2 hrs west of Fort Nelson from central California. Both times I drove on average 10-13 hrs a day which took 3 days and about 2500-2600 miles. Crossing into Canada with guns isn't a problem if you have your firearms permit filled out properly. I does take about a good hour plus to get thru the border. I do recommend if you both are driving and one might be flying homeput all the guns in the person driving name on the permit, other wise the guy flying will have to fly home with his gun. I know this from experience. good luck

Last edited:
Since I live in MT and my parents drive up there for the summer (retired) I have seriously considered it. However, because of the time commitment, the often horrible road conditions (frost heaves limit speed), and the "when crap goes wrong" being in nowhere aspect, I have ruled it out.

If you are doing it to see the country and for the adventure, great.
If you think you're doing it to be efficient and save money, you're kidding yourself. $800 or less roundtrip from Billings to Anchorage. Probably a similar deal out of Bismarck via MSP.

Not sure I would drive if I only had 14 days. Just not enough time for me.

If a fly in hunt you lose at least 3 days of hunting. The fly in, the fly out, and the day before fly out. Its next to impossible to hunt right up till you leave. You'll be into a dead moose, a minimum of half a day even if it was shot on the strip, plus pack up camp. Hard to realistically hunt the day before fly out, IMO.

Add in at least 4 days of driving and you're down to maybe 7 days of hunting. You'll likely lose another day or two for weather, and may even get delayed flying into the field. It will take a day or two to figure out how to hunt your spot, and maybe find a legal bull. Now, suppose you guys kill one... there's another day, min for meat care, more like a day and a half. Realistically you're now on a one moose hunt.

I won't do a fly out moose hunt to an area im familiar with on less than 8 full days hunting for 2 guys, to have a realistic chance of filling both tags, even then we understand it's likely a one moose hunt. And that's with no delays on the fly in/out, and I'm a half days drive from home with a flexible schedule . Sure you can get lucky in fewer days, but that's not been the case for us. One moose isn't too hard to do, but finding 2 legal bulls in a couple square miles take some patience and a bit of luck in such a short hunt. I'd much rather have 10 full days to get it done .

If you fly up instead of drive it makes life easier for logistics, but reduces success potential, IMO. You will need a day on back end to get meat and antlers handled, but you will gain a couple days of hunting too, plus be fresh.

Get an alaska airlines credit card, fly on the free miles to save money.

Good luck on your hunt, it will be a great experience no matter what.

Last edited:
fly , spend time hunting and not driving
having your vehicle is nice 'if' you get a moose to bring it back but you have to get it first and that is time spent hunting

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back