Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Tree stand safety

Dave2643

I end up spending a lot of the archery season in a stand. The harness that i use is a pain to get on and adjusted properly. Does anyone use one of those safety vests and do you have one that you would recommend? I am a pretty good size guy and need a stout.

I use a Petzl rock climbing harness from REI. Also the harness Safety System Lifelines.

With an archery season that lasts 4 1/2 months I will spend 100 + trips up a tree stand. These are easy to put on and work well from early season with light cloths to January Montana temps with heavy gear.

I've got a harness / vest system from Hunter Safety Systems (and I use the safety system lifelines on all my stands). I'm not a small guy (6', 230) and it works fine. I've got room to expand it if I needed to.

I too have a HSS safety system, but am considering going to a rock climbing type harness. Main reasons for the change would be 1. location of the tether to the tree and 2. self extraction might be easier facing the tree vs. away from it.

I use the old school single belt with a easy clasp to go around the tree. I bring the belt up high on my chest. I might get hurt from the belt if i fall but i wont hit the ground. Better to break ribs over my neck

I use the the HSS Vest. It is easily adjusted so it works in early season with 1 layer or in late season with bulky bibs on.

I use the old school single belt with a easy clasp to go around the tree. I bring the belt up high on my chest. I might get hurt from the belt if i fall but i wont hit the ground. Better to break ribs over my neck

Please, quit doing this. There's much better systems out there.

I switched to a Black Diamond Vario Speed rock climbing harness this season and am liking it so far.

I actually have hunted with a guy who's son actually slipped off the ladder stand but was on the lifeline when he fell.
His fall was arrested and was able to climb up and then down.
His father called the company to tell the story.
He was given a brand new one in exchange for his story and maybe a picture.
This was the HSS ...Hunter Safety System

If you buy it new you will find what looks like an accessory belt in the pocket.
This is in fact a foot stirrup designed to be attached to the tailbone area of your vest.
Then it hangs and you place your foot in the stirrup and relieve the weight from riding on your thighs.
This is to relieve "suspension trauma" due to your weight restricting circulation in your thighs.

Again.....the HSS vests are very well designed

My uncle was pretty lucky the day he fell out of a stand. There was an old homemade stand in the trees he was going to fix up and get ready for fall. A board broke and he fell and a large stick went into his armpit. centimeters away from cutting an artery. I will have to look for photos.

I use Scentblocker Bib/harness combo. They're a little warm in the early season but are easy to layer and keep warm in during the cold weather. They're super comfortable as well. I attached a link but have seen them quite a bit cheaper at times. With these there is no excuse not to wear a harness. Luckily, I haven't tested them. I've owned a pair for about 5-6 seasons and they've held up great, and I hunt a ton, in and out of a tree.

https://www.robinsonoutdoors.com/shop/spider-web-recon.html

I use a tree spider by robinson outdoors. I love the speed to put on and it is thin and light to prevent you from sweating on your way to the stand. If I were you I'd invest in some life-lines too... They are great to give your family and yourself a piece of mind. Over 80% of tree stand accidents occur while climbing in or out of the stand. So your harness is worthless unless you are attached from the ground up!

I have tried several harnesses over the years. For the price, versatility, and ease of use this muddy harness is what I use https://www.gomuddy.com/tree-stand-safety-harness/

This one is light weight and easy to adjust. I forget I have it on its so comfortable. It goes on before I even leave the truck and I wear it all day when Deer hunting east coast or Midwestern states.

FWIW: I have also used HSS and my wife still does....well hers had to have pink on it and HSS was the first pink one we found.

Last edited:
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back