Colorado Pheasants

land7601

Wondering if anyone has been out hunting Pheasants on public land this year? Curious how things are looking with the warm weather. Would love to get out in the coming weeks but thought I'd see how the season has been so far.

Thanks,

Alex

I've been out twice so far. Flushed a couple of hens the first day out and saw some roosters on private at the end of the day. Second day out didn't see anything. Seems like a pretty typical Colorado bird season. The birds are there but not where I happen to be!

I've been several times, most recently this Monday and Tuesday. Bird numbers in the Northeast in general are very good, historically speaking. IME, it's comparable to last year which was a good year. I shot a limit Tuesday, all on WIA ground, which is always a cause for celebration in CO. I didn't have a bird of either sex flush in range on Monday, and only saw a few birds, which is typical.

Birds were noticeably more bunched up this week compared to a few weeks ago. Not many singles and doubles, but a few groups of 12-20. That's only going to increase as the winter weather comes on. They've been spooky as all get out throughout the season (and even were flushing wild when I was just driving around scouting a couple weeks before the opener).

Corn is 98% out now. That was an issue earlier in the season. There has been quite a bit of stalk baling too in certain areas, which can be good or bad depending on your perspective (leaves less in the field for cover and mooshes the food into the dirt, but also concentrates birds in adjacent cover).

If you can go weekdays - you won't see anyone else. I hunted dawn to dusk both monday and tuesday and literally saw 0 other hunters.

Sounds like pretty typical pheasant hunting in Colorado. Saw more birds last year than I had in the last few seasons combined, so I am glad to hear it is some what similar this year. Have a nine month old baby at home so haven't had the chance to get out yet, so all the insight I can get is extremely appreciated. Figured I would try to get out to some of the walk in access out east this weekend.

I really appreciate you both getting back to me!

-Alex

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back