Advise on Waders Please...

alexramsey

Hello fellow Hunters

There is a new Cabelas opening up in my general location very soon. I do most of my hunting in fields...but want to get into a little more water based hunting next year. I need to purchase a pair of waders.

I will be buying them from Cabelas. I am not necessarily going to buy the Cabeals brand, but they will be an option. My knowledge on waders is limited...so I am looking for some help so I know what I am looking for when I get there. Any recomendations?

I guess my main question is about the amount of thinsulate a guy would need. I want something that will keep me warm in the cold, but not something that will make me sweat all the time. Looking for a happy medium. I don't really know much about the grams of thinsulate...what would be too much or what would not be enough?? :?

Thanks
Alex

Check out the Banded uninsulated. I've found that gives max flexibility for multilple seasons and temperature conditions. Not sure if Cabelas carries in store.

I think my waders are 1000g, 3mm neoprene, and I have been happy. Yeah, if you walk aways and its above 45 you will sweat, but they do the job when its cold (NC cold, so not way cold). They are Macks PW brand, so not at Cabelas, but Macks has gone to lacrosse, and I am sure that should speak to lacrosse quality. I know a few folks with Drake stuff, and they have had issues, but warranty usually covers it. But that warranty does nothing on a 20 degree morning when they spring a leak. As gsqaured said, it may be worth looking at breathables. I know folks who swear by them, and I may go that route next.

The cabelas brand is not a bad option. I got them for my boys and they are fine. I think Sims is better but depending on how much you use them it may not be worth the money. In my opinion get them with a little bit of room left with uninsulated waders. You can always add layers underneath, plus uninsulated is cheaper. Get a set of good baselayers because if you're not in the water you will sweat and then get cold.

I'm not sure what you will be doing exactly, but hip waders are easier to pack or to hunt in if they are tall enough. Good luck.

Search the threads here and you'll find more info.

400g is good place to start and layer up. Every person will run a different temp and comfort level.
Also consider breathable over neoprene.

I use the Cabela's brand breathable waders and have found them far more comfortable, more reliable, and cheaper than any neoprene wader. I have hunted in temps down in the teens, with proper layering, and been completely comfortable inside while the outside has frozen solid. Plus, if you have to do any amount of walking, breathable waders are so much lighter and less restrictive than neoprene.

"Breathable" waders for me work just fine until its cold enough that your are busting ice to lay out the decoys. And then they still work well if I am properly prepared sock-wise. For me, cold starts and ends at my feet.

The insulation listed on boots refers just to the boot portion. (i.e. 400,600,1000 gram thinsulate lining of the boot portion). If you are hunting Texas primarily, then I would image that you wouldn't need nearly the highest level of insulation.

I also wear my breathable waders while field hunting turkeys in early season muddy conditions, deer outings (not a tree climber) or anytime I'm headed into a poison ivy infested area. Pant legs can't roll up, shirts get untucked etc to get exposed to some itchy sap with waders on.

At the most, I expect to get 3 full spring/fall seasons before the pinhole leaks that come from brush busting get to the point that I'm done silicone repairing, and its time to get a new pair. Then I cut off the boot bottoms near shoelace height, and turn them into rain pants/coveralls.

PS: buy a good system to get your boots dry after use. Condensation/sweat will build up no matter how "breathable" the material is, and putting wet waders on at o-dark thirty (quite literally) stinks.

Last edited:
Are you planning on boot foot or stocking foot waders? Most waders these days are the stocking foot variety and you will need wader shoes to cover the stocking feet. Either way, do NOT get boots/shoes that have felt soles. Felt is extremely slippery on mud, wet leaves or grass. If you get wader shoes, get something with spikes or studs. Much more secure footing on wet leaves, grass or stones. Strap-on spikes are available from Korkers for either boots or wading shoes.
If you're getting boot foot waders and either have problems with cold feet or may hunt in cold weather, you might want to get a pair that will hold a felt bootie (as in Sorel Boots). I wear a size 10 shoe and got a size 12 wader which holds my foot with a size 10 felt boot liner comfortably.

Last edited:
All waders leak, some more than others. My first criteria for purchasing waders is to review the return policy.

I'm also a fan of breathable waders. The only exception IMO is if you know you will be standing in water for an extended period of time, then get neoprene, with the heavier boot insulation. If you do much walking, and are only in the water for short periods, the breathable option is so much more comfortable.

Breathable all the way. Layer under them as needed. The only way that I would purchase another pair of neoprenes was if I was hunting flooded timber and standing in water all day( I don't). I've had very good luck with Cabelas branded waders. Bought my first pair roughly 15 years ago. They lasted me about 7-8 years until the holes got too bad to patch anymore. Life time warranty, sent them back to Cabelas and they mailed me a brand new pair, no questions asked. Any wader will leak eventually.

I use the 3mm cabelas stocking foot ones. I just buy a little bigger rubber boot and use those as my boot for the waders. I usually get three years out of them and I mainly use them for beaver trapping. 3 years in a beaver swamp is pretty good life expectancy IMO

Simms makes the best waders hands down. It sounds crazy to a lot of waterfowl guys, but get breathable waders and layer properly under them vs getting an insulated neoprene wader. You will stay warmer. Neoprene doesn't breathe well and it doesn't cut the wind well. The moisture buildup in the neoprene will cause you to get cold.

Breathable waders hands down. I have own cabelas brand boot foot, and I have had them for many years with no problems. I recently purchased the hellbender-stockingfoot by frogtoggs and they work great. If you plan on walking alot in public lands these are the best option. Also, as far as cabelas they stand by their warrenty. I sent back an old pair of neoprenes and they gave me a gift card in the amount of the worth of the waders.

Best,
redduck

I had Neoprene Drake waterfowl and I swear by them. They lasted 4 seasons before springing a leak in South Idaho. I've never had a pair of waders last more than 1 full season. I do hunt maybe 30 times a season to put it in perspective of wear and tear. Our weather varies quite a bit, but its anywhere from 0-25 for lows and highs in the 30's. sometimes warmer and sometimes colder. Last year I had days the truck registered -15. I will be going with them again. I used to buy the lower end cabela's neoprene when they would go on sale for $100, one season max and I have tried some other more expensive pairs that lasted one season or would leak after the beginning of the following season. A lot comes down to, walking in to hunt like I am, waders rub, freeze crack, being in and out of the water to retrieve birds. Breaking ice off waders. Or are you in a boat and less time in the water? I think that has a lot to do with it. I have a friend that has breathable waders and swears by them, they are lighter, I might try them from drake, I know Cabela's is starting to carry them. He has Banded brand though. Also look into a mini heater if your feet get cold fast. Use it as needed. My father gets cold feet regardless of temperature outside so I bring a heater for him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back