PEAX Equipment

Recommendations on a turkey choke?

TWT

I’m looking to purchase a turkey choke and would like to know if anybody has any opinions on chokes you’ve owned or tried. I generally shoot Winchester long beard 3.5” #5s. I own both Kick’s and Carlson waterfowl chokes and like both. I may be splitting hairs, just like to do my research and buy once.

Kicks are great for waterfowl but suck with turkey loads. Jelly head is what you need..

HS Strut "Undertaker" (extended length) used for all of my turkeys (unless mandated steel shot, then drop back to a modified winchoke and reduce my lethal distance by at least 10 yards)

Buy 3, take them out and shoot them. Keep the one that patterns best.

I appreciate the recommendations. I’ve never used anything more than the factory full chokes, but I am headed to FL in March to hunt osceolas and it seemed like a good excuse to get a turkey choke.

I used the Carlson "long range" waterfowl choke that came with my Stoeger this year...2 birds, 2 shots, bang flop. Before that I used the Primos TightWad in my 870 and the Factory Extra full in my 835. Spend some time and unfortunately some money and pattern several combinations.

It's just like shooting a rifle. Everyone's firearm is it's own b1tch as to what they want, or don't want. Brand X ammo shot out of a Y choke will be vastly different from brand A with a brand B choke. Just saying a tighter choke is not necessarily better.

My Mossberg will print an awesome pattern with 2 3/4" #5 Herter's nickle plated & a medium/full choke, but spreads to the wind with Federal 3" #6's and a full choke.

To each it's own.

Back