meat stick kit for jerky?

wyoboypt

i bought a jerky gun with the LEM backwoods jerky seasoning kit and the snack stick seasoning kit. made the jerky today in my pellet smoker. turned out awesome. Can I use the snack stick kit to make more hamburger jerky? (dont care for the sticks) the cure ingredients are exactly the same. only the seasoning ingredients are different.

Looks great! Was that with burger through the jerky gun? If so, what temp on the Traeger? I have a traeger and a jerky gun, just need to find a solid recipe! Thanks!

It’s cold so it hovered around 134 on smoke. I bumped it back and forth between smoke and 180. Next time I’m just gonna leave it at 180.

Looks good, I would give the snack stick mix a try for the jerky. The flavor might be a bit different but it's worth a shot.

ewludwig makes some seriously good jerky gun jerky. Maybe he'd share his recipe

Made pheasant jerky with a gun this fall with leftovers from last season. Turned out ok, but the texture had an odd granular mouthfeel. Presumably as result of the grinding. We ground course, and only one pass, but still too granular in the end. Any techniques to combat this, or do others not see this with heartier meats (venision/elk vs. pheasant)?

As for flavoring, we tried several different flavors (purchased packages and made from scratch) and the runaway favorite was a made from scratch "Sweet Bourbon" Jerky.

Here is the mix:

2 cups of whiskey reduced down to 1/2 cup volume by simmering (be careful around open stove flames as it is flammable)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1.5 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon canola oil
1 teaspoon curing salt (morton's)
1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke (with the traegger drying you may want to skip this)
1 teaspoon freshly minced/crushed garlic
1/2 teaspoon crushed black peppercorns
1 lb coarsely ground meat of your choosing

Mix all the non-meat ingredients well and then mix with the meat. Marinate, extrude through your jerky gun and dry.

Maybe your grind is too coarse...not really sure exactly because I've not actually make jerky gun jerky. You may need some binders that commercial mixes have. I believe you could add a bit of what is known as "meat glue" aka Transglutaminase to help bind things. Another potential idea is to put your ground meat and spices in a Kitchenaid mixer and mix the living hell out of it to smooth things out a bit.

Maybe your grind is too coarse...not really sure exactly because I've not actually make jerky gun jerky. You may need some binders that commercial mixes have. I believe you could add a bit of what is known as "meat glue" aka Transglutaminase to help bind things. Another potential idea is to put your ground meat and spices in a Kitchenaid mixer and mix the living hell out of it to smooth things out a bit.

Good suggestions. It definitely sticks together and is almost too hard, but after you start getting it pretty chewed up is has an odd grainy mouth feel. I will definitely try the meat glue next time and see if that helps.

i bought a jerky gun with the LEM backwoods jerky seasoning kit and the snack stick seasoning kit. made the jerky today in my pellet smoker. turned out awesome. Can I use the snack stick kit to make more hamburger jerky? (dont care for the sticks) the cure ingredients are exactly the same. only the seasoning ingredients are different.

Try looking up Hi Country seasonings on the computer. They have some great jerky and sausage mixes, and I mean fantastic!

https://shop.hicountry.com/storefront.aspx

I use the Hi Country (NO MSG) jerky mix with my jerky gun and it has a great flavor. Can't keep it in stock with all the kiddos eating it!

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back