Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Loan Me a Truck

The wife and I are going to test drive a Pro-4x on Valentines day. Not buying for several more months, but I'm eager to test it out and compare it against the other big dogs in the truck world.

Does the durability of the Titans translate to the Frontier Compacts as well?

As an aside I've always liked the absence of a big gaudy wrap job on the OYOA vehicles.

IMO the Frontiers are great (I have one). At this point they are mostly unchanged since 2006, though. I tend to like that about a vehicle: lots of proven history and lots of other people to run into problems which you can learn from. That said, Toyota just refreshed the Tacoma last year and I expect Nissan will do the same in 2019 (although that's been the thinking for years now). IMO saving bucks one way or the other is a good idea: new vs a 2012 there is hardly any difference.

Also I wouldn't call a Frontier a compact (it's a mid-size). Maybe coming from the full-size world they all look small but hop in a Ford Ranger sometime or 90s Toyota and that's a compact.

Well, it took quite a while for the attorneys to decide who is liable for any problems resulting from Nissan loaning me a new Titan for destruction testing. We decided to co-insure and now I'm free to do anything I want to this Titan. Or, at least that is what they asked me to do. The engineers and marketing team said, "Treat it like you hate it and let us know what we can improve."

I'm your huckleberry ;)

Picked it up at the dealership this morning. Now, gotta get a topper, bumper, winch, custom seat covers, and tires that can go off asphalt. Will do videos of each install and why we picked what we did.

After buying five of the old version Titans with my own money, it's nice to have a loaner for "testing and feedback" that will not be my financial responsibility if my testing goes a bit too far. Not the time of year when we beat the heck out of things, so most of the early videos will be to show how easy it is to rig this PRO4-X as a serious hunting vehicle without much money/modifications.

Many ask why I bought so many Titans (first was 2005). The answer comes down to the Titan always ranked as the best value when comparing "off the lot" trucks for off-road hunting abuse, at the least cost and headache. And, the fact mine have 400K combined miles on some of America's worst roads, and have never had a problem, none.

Thanks to the Nissan engineering team who has been communicating with me for since they started working on this new model Titan. Some there are serious outdoor folks there, including the lead engineer who happens to be a former Idaho guy raised on a ranch in the Owyhee country. He knows what a hunter needs in a truck and has followed our platforms for many years.

This is the Half-ton gas model. Expect frequent reports here and on YouTube.

Titan 1.jpg

Nice color, needs a big old Wazzu Coug sticker on there, right JR?

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a slick ride!! I'm a Ford guy, but if I could get by with a 1/2 ton gasser I'd certainly give the Nissan some consideration!!

What type of bumper will you run on that sweet rig? I hear the guys over at Throttle Down Customs(TDK) in Moore MT make some very durable after market bumpers. I see them all over when we are hunting out there. Nice guys. Want to put one on my Tundra...just have to pull the trigger!

Sorry ... just saw the part about you all doing videos on the installs of the aftermarket items.

I purchased the 2017 Titan Pro-X4 about 9 months ago. I will be interested to see how you fit yours out.

There are so few Titans around here I probably would have bought something else if you hadn't convinced me to look at one. I bought a used one from a dealer who thought it had 18,000 miles. Turns out it was a Canadian truck and it was 18,000 kilometers. Poor dealer...

Pulled out two chevy's this winter. No complaints so far.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back