Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Spotting scope size, style and phonescopes

WHOCARES

What do you guys prefer, straight line spotters or angled? 60mm or 80mm - what's the difference? And lastly, do you use a phone scope when spotting or just for pics? Thanks for any input and advice.

Angled for me for sure. I usually only use a phone skope for taking pictures but it can work viewing as well.

with optics in general, get the best that your pocket book can afford, but I believe this applies to spotting scopes 10 fold. I personally will always opt for the largest objective available but don't sacrifice glass quality to get the larger objective. Currently using the ATX 95 which is a good bit better than the ats80 I was using prior. if they made a 105 id own that.

If you plan on using off a window mount in a vehicle, straight is the only way to go.

Angled is typically favored for everything aside from glassing off your pickup window or looking downhills.

80’s will allow more light into the scope which provides better low light performance and will alllow you to use this higher zoom earlier and later. The drawback is weight and size as a 65 will stoke away quite a bit better.

I don’t typically use my phone scope when glassing, just takes to long to get everything setup.

Personally, I’m packing a Swaro ATS80 and love it.

If you are carrying it in your pack I would suggest not going over 65mm.

The heavier spotter and more magnification, the stronger of a tripod you will need which can be pricey.

I use a phone skope on my 60mm angle Vortex. The phoneskope only comes out during scouting season and if I need to enlarge an image. Don't waste your time with other immitations, pay for the overpriced piece of plastic and get the phoneskope. As for on and off, it instantly lines up so there's no down time or fidgeting with it.

I have grown to like the angled spotters better especially since a lot of them rotate at the tripod mount. The angled will also let you get away with a shorter tripod.

I have a straight spotter, but I think I would prefer an angled one after using some of my buddies'. With a window mount from a truck, like lots of guys use when hunting antelope, a straight scope is a bit easier to use.

I have a straight 65mm. The straight fits in my pack better, and like Luke said, works better from a window mount. So far, I haven't wished for an angled. mtmuley

Straight to me seems easier to pack, use on a window mount and for just ease of locating the game once you switch from binos to the scope. I also would say go 65mm or 60mm versus 80 I just personally don't see enough of a difference to pack the heavier scope.

I've owned both. Angled scope is much more versatile. It takes a little getting used to, but I have zero problems with target acquisition at this point. With the angled, you glass a lot more terrain from a single position by just using that central rotation. In my opinion, you get less neck strain as its a much more natural position. I also like that the scope is lower when in upright position, thus more stable.

I bought an angled scope first but found that I mostly use it for taking a closer look at game that I’ve already spotted with my binos, whether From a pickup window or along the trail. I do a lot of hiking and the angled scope didn’t fit in my pack vey well. I sold it and bought a straight and haven’t looked back. That being said, if you do a lot of glassing (coues deer or something similar) angled is the way to go. I carry a 65mm due to its size for packing, but 85mm would be better if size/weight isn’t a factor. PhoneSkope is awesome but I don’t use it for looking, I use it for taking pics/video. It should go without saying, but the better quality scope, the better pics you will get.

I like straight spotting scopes. Easier for looking down the mountain. I have a larger spotting scope, but don't carry it due to weight. Just picked up a Kowa 55mm 15-45x spotter that weighs 29 ounces (less thank many 10x binos.) Haven't taken it hunting yet, but the image quality is great, and the size and weight make it more likely that I will take it with me into the backcountry.

When out west I backpack hunt steep, high country. Weight is a primary concern for me. I like my Nikon ED 50 with a 15x30 eye piece. Weight is just over a pound. Clarity is excellent. If weight is a factor, the little scope needs to be in the mix. I am not counting growth rings and such. Performance to weight ratio is excellent.
HD

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back