Remington M700 Mountain SS?

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
Loading a rifle tedious? You either load a mag or a rifle, same thing. I could go on, but, to each his own I guess. mtmuley

A bit of a first world problem, but if your hunting situation has you in and out of your vehicle or over obstacles (like fences) it can be a pain. If you just sit in the same stand all day, ya, pretty much no more bother.

MtMuley, this is probably just a preference thing why you like what you do, and if it works (which I am sure it does) great. But you only load a magazine once, then it stays loaded. With a floor plate you have to load it every time, and that to me IS tedious. Not to mention spare bullets jingling in my pockets.

How many rounds does your rifle carry? Mine either carry 4 or 2, and almost always that is enough, but not 100% of the time.

A bit of a first world problem, but if your hunting situation has you in and out of your vehicle or over obstacles (like fences) it can be a pain. If you just sit in the same stand all day, ya, pretty much no more bother.

I don't have either issue. Never sat in a stand rifle hunting. Don't have a vehicle issue either. Situations dictate I guess. mtmuley

MtMuley, this is probably just a preference thing why you like what you do, and if it works (which I am sure it does) great. But you only load a magazine once, then it stays loaded. With a floor plate you have to load it every time, and that to me IS tedious. Not to mention spare bullets jingling in my pockets.

How many rounds does your rifle carry? Mine either carry 4 or 2, and almost always that is enough, but not 100% of the time.
I don't carry spare ammo in a pocket. You're right, preference thing. mtmuley

JLS why do you want a mountain rifle and not a standard length/weight rifle? I understand mountain rifles are lighter but that is about it so am curious. And why are you concerned with twist? If you are not shooting long range, 500yds+ then twist is basically irrelevant, yes?

Looks like I might have to start saving my lunch money. Wish it had a litter faster twist that 1 in 9.25".

Hope it works out. I'm in conversation with my accountant (wife) on a purchase myself. Factory twist has to satisfy the masses. mtmuley

Hope it works out. I'm in conversation with my accountant (wife) on a purchase myself. Factory twist has to satisfy the masses. mtmuley

I see Steve recommends 1 in 9" for the 143 Hammer Hunter. I haven't put for the proposal to the CFO on this one. Might just ask for forgiveness.

I am not a fan of the hinged floor plate on the 700 XCR that I have. At least half of the time the 2nd round jams. Maybe just a lemon, but when I get around to replacing the recalled trigger with a Timney trigger, I will also get the HS Precision detachable magazine conversion kit.

I had no problems stabilizing 160 Accubonds with factory 9 1/4 twist barrel with my 280 Rem. Never worked up anything heavier. I have since gone to 145 Barnes, which also stabilize just fine.

So I can pick one of these up NIB for about $650. I need to poke around and see if I can fine one to get my hands on, looking for thoughts and opinions on the gun. I'd probably get it either in 7mm HT or 280. Remington.

It would be an all around, hunt everything backcountry type gun.

Where can I buy one for that price?

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back