Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Remington M700 Mountain SS?

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 20812

So I can pick one of these up NIB for about $650. I need to poke around and see if I can fine one to get my hands on, looking for thoughts and opinions on the gun. I'd probably get it either in 7mm HT or 280. Remington.

It would be an all around, hunt everything backcountry type gun.

Seems like a great deal if you can get it at that price. They seem to go for a bit more than that, from what i've seen recently.

I wouldn't mind having either one. I have 2 blue/wood in .280's.Booth shoot as good as I can.

I'd buy one sight unseen for that price. I haven't shot one, but I've held one at the local gun shop. It's a nice looking little rifle.

Does that have a hinged floor plate or magazine? I have an older 700 and I was never a fan of the hinged floor plate or location of the safety. Having said that, it has killed lots of chit and you are looking at a good price for that rifle.

Holy Moses, the last 10 threads or so I have read all mention "man bun" at some point...pretty soon I will start having nightmares.

Does that have a hinged floor plate or magazine? I have an older 700 and I was never a fan of the hinged floor plate or location of the safety. Having said that, it has killed lots of chit and you are looking at a good price for that rifle.

Hinged floorplate. Used them for many years on my Model 70's and am quite fond of them.

Not a fan of the hinged floorplate? Reason(s)? mtmuley

Well if you are fond of that design of rifle then you should jump on it. But change the swivel studs out to stainless on it so it is all nice and shiny :)

MTMuley, I never liked the hinged floor plate because it required me to hold loose ammo in my pockets or put the ammo in another container which slowed down a reload. With a magazine, you can shoot till empty, pop in a new magazine, then you are ready to shoot. Putting the bullets in one by one is tedious, and after a long day in the mountains I prefer to just pop out a magazine, or pop one in the morning before I go. Also, with my wife or kids, the hinged floor plate can be a bugger sometimes to get in or out and if you don't have your hand ready to catch, you better start looking. Just my preference on this first world or African safari problem and if anyone has a solution I am all ears!!

I'm with you on the floor plate 375. It's one reason why I've always preferred my Browning over 700s.

Last edited:
Good thing is on that platform you can just buy a different bottom and convert it to a magazine style. Personally I am partial to the floor plate, just always have been as it is a cleaner look and feel.

MTMuley, I never liked the hinged floor plate because it required me to hold loose ammo in my pockets or put the ammo in another container which slowed down a reload. With a magazine, you can shoot till empty, pop in a new magazine, then you are ready to shoot. Putting the bullets in one by one is tedious, and after a long day in the mountains I prefer to just pop out a magazine, or pop one in the morning before I go. Also, with my wife or kids, the hinged floor plate can be a bugger sometimes to get in or out and if you don't have your hand ready to catch, you better start looking. Just my preference on this first world or African safari problem and if anyone has a solution I am all ears!!
I started shooting bolt guns before the DM got mainstream. My rifles hold enough rounds I've never had to resort to popping out a mag and reload while hunting. Loading a rifle tedious? You either load a mag or a rifle, same thing. I could go on, but, to each his own I guess. mtmuley

Addicting, I did not know you could convert to a magazine that easy, interesting to know. Maybe some floor plates are cleaner looking and feeling, but mine never have been. My rifle with a magazine is flush all the way down the stock, unlike my rifle with a floor plate. Unfortunately there still isn't a way to convert to a tang safety...or is there?

Good thing is on that platform you can just buy a different bottom and convert it to a magazine style. Personally I am partial to the floor plate, just always have been as it is a cleaner look and feel.

Yep. mtmuley

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back