Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Anyone own a pair of Duluth Trading Fire Hose Briar Pants?

Sawtooth

Recommendations for a new pair of Chukar/Upland pants?

I am looking for a new pair of pants for upland bird hunting. Has anyone tried out the Duluth Trading Fire Hose Briar pants? They would be used primarily for chukar and quail hunting here in SW Idaho, so they would need to be strong enough to withstand the lava rock and sage associated with our hunting area. On the other hand they need to be comfortable and allow for hiking up and down the steep canyons that chukar call home. Any reviews or past experience would be appreciated. Or if you know of another brand that would fit the bill let me know.

Last edited:
I’ve been using their firehose stretch upland pants for the last few upland seasons here in MN. They have been durable and the stretch makes them pretty comfortable as well. I not sure if they are the same as the briar pants though and I don’t know if our prairies and forest in MN are as hard on pants as lava rock.

The ability for the cloth to stretch is definitely something that would make the climb up and down the rock cliffs much easier. That is one of my concerns with the Briar Pants.

I owned a pair of regular non-stretch fire hose pants 10 years ago. I thought they wore (resisted abrasion) well. I was most impressed by how well they breathed. Even on hot days (80-90s) with low NM humidity, they were darn comfortable and caught any bit of wind that came along. Of course, the chaps would block that wind and make it a bit less breathable I suppose.

Never seen them. I really like the LL Bean Tech Upland pants. Not sure how they compare price wise.

I don't own these particular pants but I do own several pairs of Duluth firehouse and dry on the fly pants and have never been disappointed by them.

I don't have the briar pants but I own several pair of firehose pants and the overalls as well. First time I had them in briars, I was sorely disappointed as I could feel every thorn that i walked into and I thought these pants wont last even one day of shed hunting. Here's the kicker: no matter how many briars I go through, the pants wont rip or tear. I finally did wear through a pair and after some quick math, I would say 4500+ hours. As for comfort, I have two words for you: crotch gusset! Most comfortable pants i've ever worn, its hard to explain but there is extra fabric in the crotch that allows the legs to move independently; pick up one leg and the other stays put. I cannot recommend them enough.

I have had these pants for about 3 years best resistant pants I have had out of 4 other pairs. I would buy again and all my pants are now from Duluth for comfort.

Can't attest to this particular pant, but Duluth pants in general are super comfortable for us "full figured" guys. I have found all their products to be extremely durable.

Last edited:
I have seen these advertised here and there. I'm curious myself but at the same time, I have one pair of sitka ascent pants that I have used and abused for conservatively six seasons of big game hunting and they still look new. Maybe consider purchasing a non camo pair of Sitka's. They are 4 way stretch, super comfortable and durable as heck. Apply some waterproof spray to the outside and you'll have a useful pant for upland that should last you many seasons.

Picked these up last season for pheasants and they are plenty durable. Have walked through some thick tangles and haven't ever felt anything go through the pants. They are a bit stiff at first but a few washings they break in nicely. Definitely a warmer pant but the trade off is worth it in my opinion to have something that will keep your legs from getting cut up.

Thanks for all the reviews and suggestions. Always fun trying out new gear and finding the one that fits the bill just right.

Add my 2 cents....I have 2 pair of the regular firehose pants and love them. Anytime I am going to do anything "rough and tumble" I reach for them. I have hunted in them, cut firewood, done landscaping etc and you can't see any wear after 5 years. A bonus is that they are very water resistant as well. The fit is comfy as mentioned.

Check out Roscoe Washakie and Patagonia Field pants. Have both - both have held up reasonably well given the abuse they get hunting Montana birds.
Also have First lite Kanabs - like 'em, but very disappointed in the durability. That being said, I will try the new version of that pant. Hard to get too disappointed in the durability of wool that you beat the shit out of.
If the above contradiction makes any sense.....

Check out Roscoe Washakie and Patagonia Field pants. Have both - both have held up reasonably well given the abuse they get hunting Montana birds.
Also have First lite Kanabs - like 'em, but very disappointed in the durability. That being said, I will try the new version of that pant. Hard to get too disappointed in the durability of wool that you beat the shit out of.
If the above contradiction makes any sense.....
One can hunt in those "hippie'" pants? ;) I like the looks of either of those and may have to pick up some from Patagucci if I can find them in the outlet. I must not fit Roscoe's demographics as their sizes stop well short of what I'd need.

PS- You should host an "ugly" dog bird hunting convention in MT some year. ;)

Everything I have tried from Duluth has been good.

Just got an email - Flash sale on Fire Hose Work pants until midnight - $40. Pretty good deal.
'Uncramp your crouch' and get you some buck naked underwear for $13.50 to make the free shipping amount...You'll thank me later!! :cool:

I'm not affiliated with Duluth...

Last edited:
One can hunt in those "hippie'" pants? ;) I like the looks of either of those and may have to pick up some from Patagucci if I can find them in the outlet. I must not fit Roscoe's demographics as their sizes stop well short of what I'd need.

PS- You should host an "ugly" dog bird hunting convention in MT some year. ;)

This hunting hippy (?) has bloodied a fair amount of Patagucci stuff over the years.
As to the "convention", I'm a very poor host. Had to get another dog so I could say I have more than one friend.
But at least I know and admit my limitations..........

This hunting hippy (?) has bloodied a fair amount of Patagucci stuff over the years.
As to the "convention", I'm a very poor host. Had to get another dog so I could say I have more than one friend.
But at least I know and admit my limitations..........

A liberal (hunting forum defined) that actually hunts-this will blow an eastern tenderfoots mind.

Last edited:
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back