What are some decent mid-tier and top-tier Vortex rifle scopes?

I have a Diamondback HP on a Howa .270. Took less than a box of shells to sight in. First shot hunting with it is a miss on an antelope buck under 200 yards. Get it home and I notice the thing is rattling. Vortex warranty will cover repairing it, but in the meantime I have to mount another scope and get it sighted in dead nuts in the middle of hunting season. Went back to my old Redfield scope and ended up filling my buck tag with that.

Read somewhere (after buying that Vortex) that it probably isn't good that so many people know how great their VIP warranty is. Really a good point that I never thought of. Less than a box of shells of .270Win and one of the lens came loose inside the scope? Pretty sad.

I'd be hard-pressed to buy/trust another Vortex scope.

Interesting story. I wonder what happened. I have bounced my Diamondback off of rocks, transported it thousands of miles in the truck and packed it for probably close to a 100 miles on a pack without any problems. Matter or fact, there have been a handful of times that I have been sure that I damaged it, but it has still held zero. I have beat the crap out of mine and it has been great. Sorry to hear about your experience.

I have been looking into the Vortex Viper PST 3-15x44 FFP scope. What would the Leupold equivalent?

I really like my Leupold VX2. The glass was clearer to me than the Vortex Diamondback, and the scope weighed less. Same warranty as the Vortex.

What type of shooting do you plan on doing? Max distance? It's tough to recommend a magnification without more specifics.

The biggest differences are the reticle, and the "tactical" turrets on the Vortex.

Leupolds are more of a hunting scope. You zero it, screw the cap on and leave it alone.

The big thing lately is to get your ballistic data down the send it in for custom yardage turrets.
If elk is at 600 yards, dial to 600 and enjoy your backstraps.

You can't do much wrong with either Vortex or Leupold, just make sure to buy a scope that fits the parameters of the hunting you're doing, and buy the best one that fits your budget. Just go somewhere you can put your hands on a few before you buy one.

I have been looking into the Vortex Viper PST 3-15x44 FFP scope. What would the Leupold equivalent?

Closest would probably be a VX5 with the Zero-Lock 2 turret. Both scope companies, Vortex and Leupold, are good companies. If you go Leupold check with Predator Optics on this forum. I've got lots of Vortex & Leupold and like both. Go Viper or higher and VX3i or higher end scopes.

I decided to go with the Vortex Viper PST Gen II 3-15x44 FFP. I can't wait to get it mounted and try it out in the range. Thanks every one for your help!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back