Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

What's a good long range rifle out of the box?

Highground, I like your caliber choice (I have 3 260s) and from what I've seen & shot personally from my son's Tikka CTR. I'd say you're making a solid choice. There's obviously a lot of Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge when it come to picking rifles. The Tikka is a very good rifle, so is the Ruger RPR and I wish I could get some personal trigger time with the Bergara. If you can find somewhere to shoulder a few of these, that may sway your decision.

I'm rethinking my suggestion since the OP has provided more info. I'd spend the $1K making your current 7mm Rem Mag to suit your needs better and use it. Get the loading gear. Get a scope capable of shooting to the ranges you want to shoot and hunt. Address any issues with your current rifle that are keeping it from doing what you want to do.

I'm rethinking my suggestion since the OP has provided more info. I'd spend the $1K making your current 7mm Rem Mag to suit your needs better and use it. Get the loading gear. Get a scope capable of shooting to the ranges you want to shoot and hunt. Address any issues with your current rifle that are keeping it from doing what you want to do.

I have been thinking about this. My current rifle is a 7mm mag Browning A bolt that I really like. I can ring steel with it at 500 yards, but my scope is what is limiting my ability. It's an old Leopold 3.5 x 10 with no adjustability for distance, so I have to guess where to hold the crosshairs above the target. Maybe I should try shooting my current rifle with a nice long distance scope. If I didn't like it, I would already have the scope for my next gun.

Im thinking about purchasing the Tikka T3X CTR in .260. Is there anyone with experience that would steer me away from this rifle? I already shoot a .260 so thinking about sticking with that caliber and reloading for both rifles. Am I missing out on something by not considering another manufacturer in this price range? I have experience with Remington 700, Savage 110, Sako AV (safe queen), and Tikka T3s. As a shooter my favorite was the Tikka t3 in .308 but of course sold it. I have no experience with Bergara. Thanks you any input. This will be a range gun and "backup" hunting rifle when I loan out my other .260 to my brother.

I am one of twodot's kids who was blasting dogs and rocks at 8-900 with the Bergara .308... My buddy who has that rifle sold his Tikka CTR and got the Bergara.. I shot both and prefer the Bergara hands down.. For a street price of about $950 you can't beat it. The stock is fantastic. If/when they start making it in 6mm Creed I'll have one. Get the Bergara, stick an SWFA 10x42 MQ on it and go have a ball for around $1250.

051_LI.jpg

Even my brother Nash, who digs all things Colt and Winchester liked the Bergara....

047.jpg

Ben

I got a Savage LRH about 4 years ago under similar circumstance. I wanted to shoot more at the range, hunt with rifle, become proficient at longer distance, and generally improve skills. The Savage is not a masterpiece of workmanship.....but it is a very accurate rifle for the money. It is a little heavy for back country hunts but not ridiculous.
I spent more on optics than the rifle, handload rounds, and yes got the hipster caliber. Very confident to around 600 yards, personally would not push past that for game.
I've been hearing good things about Bergara for a similar price. I gave up on Remington a few years back.

I am one of twodot's kids who was blasting dogs and rocks at 8-900 with the Bergara .308... My buddy who has that rifle sold his Tikka CTR and got the Bergara.. I shot both and prefer the Bergara hands down.. For a street price of about $950 you can't beat it. The stock is fantastic. If/when they start making it in 6mm Creed I'll have one. Get the Bergara, stick an SWFA 10x42 MQ on it and go have a ball for around $1250.

View attachment 77688

Even my brother Nash, who digs all things Colt and Winchester liked the Bergara....

View attachment 77689

Ben

what is the weight of the bergara (without the muffler)? Roughly the same as everything else? I am looking for something that I can take hunting. thanks

what is your MOA on the bergara ar the range?
Trade wind, I can not answer your MOA question because we were shooting random ranges, at chosen rocks and then some p.dogs. No paper targets for group size were fired that day. If one knows how to use their scope, and has a dead accurate range finder, they can do some mighty satisfying shooting with that rig. My boys and their friend who owns that rig, fit that description. That particular Bergara B14 weighs 9.1 lbs according to Bergara's web page. I am a walnut and blue steel guy, but being around these kind of rigs with guys who know what they are about is rather eye opening at the "out past 600" ranges.

View attachment 77688

View attachment 77689

Ben

Strong endorsement & reply to the OP.

View attachment 77688

View attachment 77689

Ben

Thanks for your post. I will now be shouldering and possibly shooting the Bergara before I purchase! I like the lightweight of the Tikka, but then again I would likely re-stock it anyways.

Rem 700 long range in 7 mm rm. Harris bipod, warne mountain tech 20 moa base and rings. Vortex hst 6-24-50. 69 grs of h 1000 in Norma brass with fed 215 m primer pushing a 168 gr hunting vld loaded 3.35. My 15 y/o daughter put 5 of 5 rds on a 12x12 paper @ 1000. 1/2 moa gun @ 200. I have 1400 in the whole setup and have shot a 22" gong @ 1 mile, not bad for a factory rifle..... we killed a total of 9 animals with this gun last season. Farthest shot was 393...we got it and we practice so we could shoot long range if we had to, but we won't take a 400 yard shot if we think we could walk to 200..

IMG_6523.jpg

Last edited:
Nice rifle Quackillr. Talking about bang for the buck, I don't see the Bergara being 300 bucks better than the LR. mtmuley

Just got a Cabelas flyer with this rifle in it. $100 off $659.99

I have been thinking about this. My current rifle is a 7mm mag Browning A bolt that I really like. I can ring steel with it at 500 yards, but my scope is what is limiting my ability. It's an old Leopold 3.5 x 10 with no adjustability for distance, so I have to guess where to hold the crosshairs above the target. Maybe I should try shooting my current rifle with a nice long distance scope. If I didn't like it, I would already have the scope for my next gun.

I'm in the same boat as you. I have an a-bolt in .338 winmag. I plan on working some hand loads and upgrading glass to take me out to 500 and beyond. Love to have a new x bolt long range but the a-bolt I have is probably more than capable hopefully.

I got my Savage 10BA stealth 6.5 CM for 1070.00 out the door. Love it hated the chassis so I sold the chassis and bought a Bell and Carlson vertical grip w adjustable cheek riser and put accurate mag bottom metal on it. Dose not feed as smooth but I can probably fix that with some sanding. Love the gun and its a tac driver well capable of 1000 yards.

One of my most accurate rifles is a .300 WM. I use a 6mm for most of my target shooting , just because it is easier on me to shoot a lot of rounds.
you can always use more than 1 rifle

If it comes down to a decision between the 7 mag and the 300 Win. Mag. Pm me and I will tell you a 7 mag story from this season that would make you want to cry. If you don't hunt with it then it doesn't matter.

Huh? Are you saying the 7 mag didnt accomplish something the 300 would ? I find that VERY hard to believe, but if thats what your getting at lets hear the story.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back