Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Squirrels! It's Whats for Supper

I travel a LOT for work, domestically and internationally, and have to absolutely agree that New Orleans has the best food. Even if you get italian or something not cajun, it will still be phenomenal. And as usual Greenhorn doesn't add much to this convo :)

I suspect some of you guys have never had a good breakfast of squirrel gravy and homemade biscuits from scratch at grannies house growing up. It was about three days a week at mine. I'll take that meal over a tenderloin any day of the week that's a fact.
Luckily it is about 50/50 Fox squirrel mix where I hunt them.

The best food in the world is in New Orleans and south Louisiana. Good cajun and southern cooking is the thing that I miss most since moving up here from Mississippi. My wife and kids and I have a list of places that we are planning on eating at when we get to go back to visit.
i had a conference in New Orleans. Spend the days redfishing to the south and then would find holeinthewall restaurants downtown in the evening. Best food ever as long as you stayed away from that chain restaurant chit.

Was flipping through channels tonight and saw Sugar Bear convinced his wife to eat a squirrel on Mama June’s show.

When I lived down in New Orleans I tried nutria and liked it. I would go down by Port Sulphur and get some nutria to eat and make some of my friends try it.

I'll try almost anything, but draw the line on eating rodents or snakes.

I’m with GH. This seems to be a regional thing I have lived in MT my whole life and not once I have heard of anyone here eating squirrels.

I did see a meateater episode where Steve and Remi ate a coyote.

Agree with the other guys from MT...it has to be a regional thing and I don't recall anyone from Montana, ever mentioning eating squirrels.

My December elk trip to AZ was an eye opener, actually saw people hunting albert's squirrels...would have never guessed.

I wonder if you could substitute rabbit for squirrel and have it turn out the same?
Pine squirrels aren't worth eating, but there are a fair number of cottontails and snowshoe hares around that might be in trouble if I can cook them like that!

I wonder if you could substitute rabbit for squirrel and have it turn out the same?
Pine squirrels aren't worth eating, but there are a fair number of cottontails and snowshoe hares around that might be in trouble if I can cook them like that!

Substituting rabbit for squirrel is a much better meal. More tender plus you get more meat and less bone to pick around.

Substituting rabbit for squirrel is a much better meal. More tender plus you get more meat and less bone to pick around.

Rabbit might provide more meat, but I much prefer the taste of squirrel. That said, the two are generally interchangeable in any recipe.

I've had mixed results eating pine squirrels. Sometimes they taste like turpentine, other times they taste phenomenal. I think brining them overnight in salt water helps a lot.

I've always been a fan of squirrel and dumplings or chicken fried with gravy, I really need to gather up a batch as try squirrel pot pie

Squirrels are the best eating wild game in all of North America. They make Elk, grouse, antelope, you name it, taste pretty second class.

I preferred mine grilled, but there is no such thing as a bad squirrel.

2016%20Squirrel%20and%20low%20wall%20small.jpg

Of course, we have but a fraction of the squirrels we used to have. They may have been the single most important food source for early european settlers in the eastern half of North America. It would have been something to have been there when herds of squirrels migrated past for weeks at a time.

looks delicious to me

Totally agree with CampRipleyLF. I really appreciate the details JTHOMP included in his post to make it easier to follow. I think this could be used on a number of small game, fowl, and store bought meat for less adventurous folks. Definitely going to share this with one of my hunting buddies who claims the big three of Kansas are whitetail, turkeys, and squirrels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Irish-Jay
Back