MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

2018 Deer Hunt - Juneau

Ttannahill14

Here's my situation.

I'm probably heading to Juneau again in August 2018 with our church to help at a kids camp. My wife can't go this year due to schedule conflict, so I'm hoping to stay a week after and hunt some black tails.

I'm looking at Douglas and Shelter islands right now.

Douglas: Easy to get to from Juneau via road system, looks like it could have some good landscape for an alpine deer hunt. Curious on how crowded it gets? I won't be there opening day. More like August 15th.

Shelter: About 13 miles from the youth camp by water. The camp has boats, is that too much to ask to have them drop me off, and pick me up? I know they boat 30 miles to Juneau every couple weeks for supplies, just drop me off on the way? Or is it not that easy. Also Shelter Island looks like a lot less elevation... how does that effect the deer at this time of year?

Lastly, I doubt I'll be able to find anyone to go with me that I know... would I be crazy to go in solo with limited mountain hunting expirience and zero hunting experience in Alaska!?

or

anyone on the forum want to join!?

Any other tips and insights would be appreciated. I'll be shooting the first buck I see, could care less about trophy size. Just want an adventure.

Take me back to a creek, my fly rod, and my creeper van!
20664472_10213719386640620_3650098888729178867_n (1).jpg

I'll say this up front - I've never been to Juneau. Having said that I have deer hunted on Kodiak (a few times) so feel like I can offer some info. I don't "think" you'll have to worry about running into brown bears. I know Douglas has some blackies - I don't know anything about Shelter. Doing a solo deer hunt should be no problem. Meat from an average sized deer will weigh about 45-55 lbs. Another 15 for skull & cape (should you happen to shoot a monster). You will need a GOOD backpack - capable of hauling the weight - unless you want to make multiple trips. You need to read the game regs carefully. ALL meat must be salvaged - rib, neck, brisket, etc. Organ meat does not have to be salvaged. If you do decide to save the horns - they are the LAST thing to be transported from the kill site (if you make multiple trips). You'll need to take with you: emergency equipment (first aid kit, matches, extra knife, etc). You need good rain gear. Game bags. A small tarp (for butchering meat and possible shelter). You might want to purchase a tag for black bear- you can use it for a deer or bear. If you shoot a bear, go get another tag for deer. All the above is assuming that you're just doing a day trip. If you're going to camp in the alpine, obviously you'll need a bigger pack.

Sounds like a lot of fun, whichever option you decide on. I might be doing something similar next year if I don't draw a spring bear tag.

I couldn't tell you anything about shelter island but I hunted Douglas island before in high school. It does get hit hard by locals but mostly by boat on the west side and later in the season. If you are going in August, I wouldn't worry to much about hunting pressure especially if you are going to hunt in the higher terrain. I wouldn't worry about brown bears there, they are around but just be bear wise and you wont have any problems. Admiralty island is a different story, lots of brown bears there. Southeast Alaska has pretty mild weather compared to the northern part of the state but it RAINS a lot! I would have the best rain gear you can afford and just be prepared for it to possibly rain every day you are there.

Are you going to Echo Ranch? Have fun up there, Juneau is a great place to visit

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back