Bucks, fins, and Bulls

Mica Man

So, it’s been a while since I have contributed anything other than a “congratulations” or “good job” and figure I should share some of my adventures from this past fall which I have had with family and friends. I do enjoy reading threads and seeing pictures of adventures which others have had and have been willing to share on this forum. Many are “first time” experiences, adventures with family or friends to new places, or the results of success from some of the more seasoned contributors to this forum. Reading about the success and failures of others, accompanied by the jokes, gear suggestions, keyboard bantering’s, and photos is what keeps me coming back to this site.

I’m not much of a word smith but I will try to do my best. I will post several pictures as they typically tell a pretty good story. Things started off mid-August in South Central Idaho after my 13 yr old son and I traveled down from Coeur d’Alene for his first ever archery hunt. After three days of crawling in ditches, hiding behind sagebrush, and getting baked by the blazing sun, he was able to connect on his first antelope buck! I ate tag soup but relished in the time spent with him in the desert.
1.jpg 2.jpg

Later in the month it was north to Alaska with my wife and three oldest children. My folks were gracious enough to watch our two younger daughters so we could make this trip. We flew into Wrangell Alaska and from there, were transported to a Forest Service cabin which I had reserved earlier in the year.
3.jpg
A week’s worth of groceries, water, gas, and a 16’ skiff for exploring, was just what the doctor ordered.
15.jpg
We fished, 4.jpg
beachcombed, 5.jpg
fished, 7.jpg
viewed wildlife,6.jpg
and fished some more!9.jpg

Bears, deer, seals, eagles, otters, whales, porcupine, and pine martin were just some of the critters we saw. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D35ay1I0Nv0L_tHDzz8AhSMw8pYIQaI42g/view?usp=sharing
12.jpg 14.jpg
No cell service, no electronics, and no means of communication other than talking with one another. We celebrated my oldest daughter’s 16th birthday while there and substituted fresh caught crab for birthday cake.
8.jpg
The biggest surprise of the trip came when I was able to hook and land a 60-inch halibut on a buzz bomb with my 8’ 6” spinning rod and 20 lb test.
10.jpg11.jpg
Southeast Alaska is one of the magical places God created where a person can still feel small and insignificant.
13.jpg

Attachments

• 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    485.8 KB · Views: 557
Man looks like a great season. Love the last pic!

September arrived hot and smoky. Despite the conditions the bulls were still bugling pretty consistently. After several trips made from the house on the mountain bike, and several close encounters. I was finally able to call a bull into an open widow between the branches and brush that was large enough for me to thread an arrow into his ribs, thus allowing me to punch my Idaho non-resident elk tag on a Mica Flats five point.17.jpg

Mid October found a buddy and myself traveling to Lawnboy’s old stomping grounds of Salmon, Idaho. We rolled into town to my cousin’s place around midnight after leaving town late due to celebrating my youngest daughters fourth birthday prior to hitting the road. We were up early and out before light to head down river to a spot I hoped would produce either a buck or a bull.
18.jpg 19.jpg
No animals were harmed the first day of hunting despite several sightings. 20.jpg My buddy contemplating whether or not he should shoot a spike bull in a small herd or elk we were watching.

The only injuries were self-inflicted as my buddy and I both managed to twist a knee despite the aid of trekking poles in the snowy and steep country of the Salmon River breaks. Day two my buddy scored on a nice muley buck.
21.jpg

Day three I was able to score on a good bull.
23.jpg

We had a short celebration and then spent the rest of that day and much of the next breaking it down, packing it out, all while wondering why in the hell I decided to shoot an elk where I did.
22.jpg

This was the same area where I killed my sheep in 2015, but not nearly as far up the drainage. I have had an itch to kill an elk in the Frank Church Wilderness area and this bull may be my first and last unless in the future I can obtain access to pack goats, llamas, or a new hunting partner with strong legs and a low threshold for pain.
24.jpg

Early November found my 16 and 13yr old on some “access yes” property above the Salmon River.
25.jpg 26.jpg Right after the shot.

The last time these two drew mule deer tags they created a lot of work for this old guy by shooting two bucks in a deep canyon far away from the pickup truck. This year not so much as both bucks were an easily downhill drag to a location where I could get the truck to.
30.jpg29.jpg

An old heavy 3x4 with worn teeth fit the bill for my son while my daughter was less picky, shooting a decent 2X4 through the right eye as it lay bedded looking at us.
27.jpg 28.jpg

Both were humane one shot kills which made for a proud papa.
31.jpg

The Saturday morning before Thanksgiving, I took my newly Kampfeldized 280 mountain rifle topped with a scope I picked up from Schmalts for a short 10 min walk behind the house. While standing at the edge of a small opening I heard a couple grunts and caught movement on the hillside above me as this little guy went jogging by.
32.jpg

A 160 gr Accubond through the ribs and my big game season was over. It has been a great fall and I look forward to another year in the outdoors with my family and friends.

Mica Man

Congrats, heck of a great season you had! That one will be hard to beat I think, and you freezer must be overflowing with top notch healthy goodness! again congrats to your whole family.
Matt

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back