Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Proposed CWD Hunt for MT

Such a knee jerk reaction. Its present, and nothing they can do about it now. Why not just do like CO and shoot a few thousand of them to stop the spread. :rolleyes:

Can we do it after the shoulder season for elk so I can have a better opportunity to fill tags?

And a third positive, this time a Whitetail doe.

This is serious.... shame to see the attitude from some.

I will advise that these high density hunter based culls are really only good for obtaining samples.
In regards to controlling the disease, this action may be more detrimental than doing nothing.

Experience in Saskatchewan and Alberta shows that these types of control measures may have actually hastened the spread.

This type of heavy and unorganized hunting pressure can displace infected animals, forcing them to travel out of the Action area when they otherwise would not have.
Culling at the core by hunters and working out only spreads the disease.

While the ability in obtaining the social licence to do so is almost nil, the best course of action is to develop an extermination perimeter outside of the disease location and work your way in, allowing zero escapement.

While the ability in obtaining the social licence to do so is almost nil, the best course of action is to develop an extermination perimeter outside of the disease location and work your way in, allowing zero escapement.

If such an extermination were even possible, i wonder how long must the area remain an ungulate wasteland to prevent a re-ignition of the disease?

Two fences 100 yards apart surrounding montana. 10 black helicopters with night vision And Thermal imaging flying 24 hours for two weeks killing every ungulate in a 100 mile radius of the effected area. And I would still put my money on it still being here to stay

If such an extermination were even possible, i wonder how long must the area remain an ungulate wasteland to prevent a re-ignition of the disease?

No one can say at the moment.

There really is no guaranteed CWD elimination protocol that includes live ungulates....

But there is good evidence that low population densities do slow the spread. Buy some time and keep pushing on the research for cures....

Reducing populations such as these culls is a good protocol, my concern is the way this is being done.

What we have learned in Alberta and Saskatchewan is that these small local culls using hunters will spread the disease faster than if the deer were left alone.

There is photographic evidence of a Sask. MD buck that was in the centre of a cull area, travelled over 30 miles during the hunt. He was pushed and pushed until he was safe from being killed, a non CWD area....

Reversing the direction of the cull, from the outside in as opposed to the current inside out, will at least reduce the potential for increasing the spread of the disease.

However, seeing the locations of the current 3 CWD positives ( third one is a WT doe), it is hard to not speculate that the disease is already present in a large swath of land. Short term pain for long term gain.

There is no magic bullet (yet) and the potential risks are enormous. Best to do what can be done to protect those areas that currently do not have CWD, even if that means killing a lot of deer.

No one can say at the moment.

There really is no guaranteed CWD elimination protocol that includes live ungulates....

But there is good evidence that low population densities do slow the spread. Buy some time and keep pushing on the research for cures....

Reducing populations such as these culls is a good protocol, my concern is the way this is being done.

What we have learned in Alberta and Saskatchewan is that these small local culls using hunters will spread the disease faster than if the deer were left alone.

There is photographic evidence of a Sask. MD buck that was in the centre of a cull area, travelled over 30 miles during the hunt. He was pushed and pushed until he was safe from being killed, a non CWD area....

Reversing the direction of the cull, from the outside in as opposed to the current inside out, will at least reduce the potential for increasing the spread of the disease.

However, seeing the locations of the current 3 CWD positives ( third one is a WT doe), it is hard to not speculate that the disease is already present in a large swath of land. Short term pain for long term gain.

There is no magic bullet (yet) and the potential risks are enormous. Best to do what can be done to protect those areas that currently do not have CWD, even if that means killing a lot of deer.

Agreed, 100%.

I think it is important to point out that this is not a "cull hunt." Instead it is to gather samples to better understand spread thus far and make recommendations based on that.

I'm not sure why anyone would be against a hunt to gather data and track the spread. I wish you folks in Montana a lot better luck with this than we have had in Wisconsin. The management of CWD, or lack thereof, in our state has been an absolute disaster going from one extreme to another with guidance that is mostly politically motivated. In Iowa County in the southwest part of our state CWD is spreading like the plague in the herd

Yep didn’t see much good happen here in Sw Wisconsin. Had a lot of deer slaughter red and I think that was harder on our deer herd than the cwd

Back