Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Again with the 308

Stuck In California

Hey all,

New to this site and am newer to big game hunting. Just ended my second season which had success in California and Wyoming. Primarily I have been shooting 308 with Fed Prem 308 Trophy Copper 165 Gr and Fed Prem 6.5 Creedmoor in 120 grain. I have had great success with both rounds and am pretty confident in their abilities. With that being said, those rounds have been successfull in Deer, Pig and Antelope.

My brother (who has been hunting for about 13 years) and I are planning a pack out Elk hunt for next season and I am already researching ammunition in 308. My brother has harvested a few elk but is of no help as he is a staunch 7mag and 30-06 or nothing else enthusiast.

My 308's barrel has a 1:10 twist rate which seems to handle the heavier grain very well. I was wondering if anyone has had success with the 165 gr trophy copper from federal. It has a great BC for the round and has a lot of energy. I was just wondering if that type of round would suffice for a a forrest horse that has swords growing out of its head.

I was also looking into Federal Premium's Edge TLR 175 Gr.

Looking for any help and experience to point me in the right direction. Thank you!

Love the Rogan quote! welcome to the forum as well. I wish I could answer your question but I do not shoot a .308 anymore (.300 win now) but I wouldn't see a problem using the coppers in 165's for elk.

Stick with the 165 Trophy Copper. They will kill anything that needs killing with a .308

Copper bullets hold together very well. A 165 out of a 308 is plenty for elk, i personally would limit shots to 350 or less because of the velocity requirements of the copper to expand.

Copper bullets hold together very well. A 165 out of a 308 is plenty for elk, i personally would limit shots to 350 or less because of the velocity requirements of the copper to expand.

Have never used copper before, but considering it. I thought conventional wisdom was to go down in weight, i.e., 150 grain for .308. What is the HT position, 150 or 165 copper monolithic bullets for .308?

No experience with the 308 but have been using the 165 grain trophy copper in 30.06 and the 180 grain trophy copper in 300 Win Mag for the past few years. I’ve been happy with the performance.

Ditto.& Welcome.
I would be using a 165 copper in 308 if I had one.I know they work in an -06 & BF uses similar round in his 308.
A Nosler 165AB from my -06 does as much damage on an elk as the 165 Fed./Barnes I shot for years.
...and how did you draw a CA elk tag? LOL
Good luck next year.

Ditto.& Welcome.
I would be using a 165 copper in 308 if I had one.I know they work in an -06 & BF uses similar round in his 308.
A Nosler 165AB from my -06 does as much damage on an elk as the 165 Fed./Barnes I shot for years.
...and how did you draw a CA elk tag? LOL
Good luck next year.

I'm very happy with the range work and field work as far as accuracy and data goes. I've never hunted Elk before so I'm just doing the research on what round to use. I noticed federal came out with that newer round "Edge TLR" and am impressed with the data on it. I am seeing that 350 yds is prob going to be my max comfort on taking a shot with the trophy copper. I just don't want to go out next year underprepared.

Good luck getting an Elk in CA, once in a lifetime of years building points when you are in your 60's probably. Unless, of course, you have some serious serious cash to spend on an opportunity and a private ranch to take one off.

No kidding on getting a CA tag Stuck.
A lifetime of waiting,even before they were on points.
Seeing them almost daily added to the pain & a buddy who drew & filled 2 bull tags nearby...I bought a cow tag & filled it on a friends ranch.Turned out it was cheaper than going out of state overall, & it did reopen my love of elk hunting & where I would move when I retired.
I knew I was not stuck in CA...

I gulped hard when I traded my 30-06 for a 308 to save weight 14 seasons ago. Worked up a load of copper slugs for the 308. I would hunt grizzlies with it with confidence. It's plenty gun for elk. Trust me, do your part and the elk will not know the difference.

No kidding on getting a CA tag Stuck.
A lifetime of waiting,even before they were on points.
Seeing them almost daily added to the pain & a buddy who drew & filled 2 bull tags nearby...I bought a cow tag & filled it on a friends ranch.Turned out it was cheaper than going out of state overall, & it did reopen my love of elk hunting & where I would move when I retired.
I knew I was not stuck in CA...

Sir, you and I need to talk asap hahahahah. 20 more years until retirement then off to greener pastures. Hopefully by them californialibtardom does not spread to the united states.

Mostly all of California is copper only. A couple zones down south can still hunt deer with lead until 2019. However, I’ve noticed my rifle tends to like the copper more than lead so I’ve been shooting copper the past two seasons anyway.

As for the original question, I Too shoot a .308 and from what I’ve learned, it is more than capable of dropping a bull.

Last edited:
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back