Default Again with the 308

Hey all,

New to this site and am newer to big game hunting. Just ended my second season which had success in California and Wyoming. Primarily I have been shooting 308 with Fed Prem 308 Trophy Copper 165 Gr and Fed Prem 6.5 Creedmoor in 120 grain. I have had great success with both rounds and am pretty confident in their abilities. With that being said, those rounds have been successfull in Deer, Pig and Antelope.

My brother (who has been hunting for about 13 years) and I are planning a pack out Elk hunt for next season and I am already researching ammunition in 308. My brother has harvested a few elk but is of no help as he is a staunch 7mag and 30-06 or nothing else enthusiast.

My 308's barrel has a 1:10 twist rate which seems to handle the heavier grain very well. I was wondering if anyone has had success with the 165 gr trophy copper from federal. It has a great BC for the round and has a lot of energy. I was just wondering if that type of round would suffice for a a forrest horse that has swords growing out of its head.

I was also looking into Federal Premium's Edge TLR 175 Gr.

Looking for any help and experience to point me in the right direction. Thank you!

Love the Rogan quote! welcome to the forum as well. I wish I could answer your question but I do not shoot a .308 anymore (.300 win now) but I wouldn't see a problem using the coppers in 165's for elk.
    How you do ANYTHING, is how you do EVERYTHING

Welcome to the forum. I asked a similar question about elk hunting with a .308 a few weeks back. I wasn't asking about copper, but here's a link. Do you have to use copper bullets?

https://onyourownadventures.com/hunt...ing-with-a-308
    "The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir

Stick with the 165 Trophy Copper. They will kill anything that needs killing with a .308
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo and Ned
    Thin out their numbers

yes... being in California you have to use them now. I use the trophy copper 165 from federal premium. Very good round.

Belly-deep Thanks for the info... at least i have some backing on the round I am using already

Copper bullets hold together very well. A 165 out of a 308 is plenty for elk, i personally would limit shots to 350 or less because of the velocity requirements of the copper to expand.

Quote Originally Posted by p_ham View Post
    Copper bullets hold together very well. A 165 out of a 308 is plenty for elk, i personally would limit shots to 350 or less because of the velocity requirements of the copper to expand.
    Have never used copper before, but considering it. I thought conventional wisdom was to go down in weight, i.e., 150 grain for .308. What is the HT position, 150 or 165 copper monolithic bullets for .308?
    "Freedom is NOT Free"

9. Default

No experience with the 308 but have been using the 165 grain trophy copper in 30.06 and the 180 grain trophy copper in 300 Win Mag for the past few years. I’ve been happy with the performance.

Ditto.& Welcome.
    I would be using a 165 copper in 308 if I had one.I know they work in an -06 & BF uses similar round in his 308.
    A Nosler 165AB from my -06 does as much damage on an elk as the 165 Fed./Barnes I shot for years.
    ...and how did you draw a CA elk tag? LOL
    Good luck next year.

I'll defer to the Big KaHoona of OYOA, who has absolutely killed more elk than I have ever even seen.

Here's what Randy has to say...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cfd3XkHDaDA&t=9s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDmA-6VsRZQ
    Last edited by Gunner46; 12-03-2017 at 02:31 PM.
    "Talent, hits a target, no one else can hit... Genius, hits a target, no one else can see."

Quote Originally Posted by hank4elk View Post
    Ditto.& Welcome.
    I would be using a 165 copper in 308 if I had one.I know they work in an -06 & BF uses similar round in his 308.
    A Nosler 165AB from my -06 does as much damage on an elk as the 165 Fed./Barnes I shot for years.
    ...and how did you draw a CA elk tag? LOL
    Good luck next year.
    I'm very happy with the range work and field work as far as accuracy and data goes. I've never hunted Elk before so I'm just doing the research on what round to use. I noticed federal came out with that newer round "Edge TLR" and am impressed with the data on it. I am seeing that 350 yds is prob going to be my max comfort on taking a shot with the trophy copper. I just don't want to go out next year underprepared.

Good luck getting an Elk in CA, once in a lifetime of years building points when you are in your 60's probably. Unless, of course, you have some serious serious cash to spend on an opportunity and a private ranch to take one off.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner46 View Post
    I'll defer to the Big KaHoona of OYOA, who has absolutely killed more elk than I have ever even seen.

Here's what Randy has to say...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cfd3XkHDaDA&t=9s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDmA-6VsRZQ
    thanks!

No kidding on getting a CA tag Stuck.
    A lifetime of waiting,even before they were on points.
    Seeing them almost daily added to the pain & a buddy who drew & filled 2 bull tags nearby...I bought a cow tag & filled it on a friends ranch.Turned out it was cheaper than going out of state overall, & it did reopen my love of elk hunting & where I would move when I retired.
    I knew I was not stuck in CA...

I gulped hard when I traded my 30-06 for a 308 to save weight 14 seasons ago. Worked up a load of copper slugs for the 308. I would hunt grizzlies with it with confidence. It's plenty gun for elk. Trust me, do your part and the elk will not know the difference.
    "The danger of civilization, of course, is that one might piss one's life away on nonsense," Jim Harrison.

Quote Originally Posted by hank4elk View Post
    No kidding on getting a CA tag Stuck.
    A lifetime of waiting,even before they were on points.
    Seeing them almost daily added to the pain & a buddy who drew & filled 2 bull tags nearby...I bought a cow tag & filled it on a friends ranch.Turned out it was cheaper than going out of state overall, & it did reopen my love of elk hunting & where I would move when I retired.
    I knew I was not stuck in CA...
    Sir, you and I need to talk asap hahahahah. 20 more years until retirement then off to greener pastures. Hopefully by them californialibtardom does not spread to the united states.