Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Shotgun opinions...

I own a Mossberg 500 and an SBE II. The only thing I use the Mossberg for is turkey hunting because I put a red dot sight on it and an extra full choke. Kicks hard even with a lighter load. I shot a borrowed SBEII at a preserve hunt and hit a bird the first time I shot it so I was looking hard for one. I ended up buying my SBEII used from Gander Mtn. I have heard some stories of guys who would win a waterfowl gun at a banquet and shoot it a few times and then sell it and I think that's what I ended up buying. I went home and the first 25 rounds I put through it seemed to wear off the paint inside the gun. In other words, it looked like it had barely been shot. So I got a $1600 gun for $1300 and it seemed to be basically brand new. The Benelli has become my go to gun when duck, dove, rabbit, or just target shooting.

I would get one that shoots up to 3.5" depending on who you hunt with. I traditionally don't shoot 3.5" but many of my friends do. I do waterfowl hunt a ton. There always at some point during multiple times of the season, hurry throw me a shell. I have the ability without having to worry what they hand over to me to do a quick finish shot or fly over shot if needed. For a pump, Personally prefer the 870, I do have a Benelli nova pump (a back up, shoot it for fun but not my first choice). I have Stoeger m2000 semi auto, it's ok, have had some issues with them but still shoot them. I have used Winchester SX3 several times, like the feel of it. I will be getting one of those or the new SX4 next year.

With as many times as you anticipate hunting, I would get the gun that you've shot and enjoyed the most. Whether or not it's pump or semi, you'll enjoy it more because it's finally yours.

Sell your extra kidney and go buy a SBE III. I have always had an 870 and after shooting the SBE I can’t go back. Fall is a long ways off So put it on layaway and enjoy building anticipation with every payment!

Man did you iplen a can of worms. I am a hardcore waterfowler, putting in 45+days each season. My take away for you:

1. My first waterfowl gun was. Benelli Nova, wish I still had it. Get one and keep it.
3. I'll never shoot a SBE again. 1,2, or 3, I don't care.
4. Get the 3.5 option. If you never use it then no problem. I like it for crane and swan.
5. My VersaMax Waterfowl Pro has dozens of cases through it, have jammed and is the best shooting shotgun I've ever touched. I won't ever have anything else.

Feel free to pm for questions on watwrfowling.

If ya' gotta' shoot 3.5"'s nevermind.
If not -
My wife shoots a Benelli Ultralight 12. Sweet, pretty, light, reliable, adjustable fit.
I'm a southpaw doubles guy but if I was a boring-handed semi-auto lover I would own one in a heartbeat.

Oops, the Ultralight is a little over twice the price of the Supernova..... buy less beer for a year?????

Last edited:
My opinion, if you need to hold the price down, get the SuperNova or an older in-good-shape 870. If you can spend the money the Super Black Eagles I've shot have been very nice. The SuperNova seems like you can abuse it, get it dirty, bang it up, etc, then just shoot the next duck that comes in range knowing that it will function just like it would if you pampered it all the time.

I use 2 different guns now, a Benelli ultra light for upland birds and don’t know there could be a better shooting handling gun anywhere, I love that gun. I use a Benelli M2 for waterfowl and turkeys and for some damn reason can’t hit waterfowl to save my ass and the only 2 turkeys I’ve missed in over 40 years is with the M2 in the last 2 years? It’s probably operator error or the M2 is just messing with me. The ultra light is awesome though.

As mentioned above, get the gun that fits you correctly. I grew up shooting a ringmaster and it never cit my fat head correctly. I got a stoeger m2000 in college and shot that for a while and then after college I got serious and bought a benelli sbe, I will never shoot any other shotgun but a benelli. I like benelli because you can shim it to fit you correctly, not very many shotguns have shims so do your homework. That is the best thing about the supernova in my opinion, probably the cheapest shotgun you can shim, unless one of the Mossbergs can be shimmer, not sure. Buy what you can afford but make sure it fits, all the shotguns talked about in this thread are great guns.

Buy a brand new camouflaged 870. They aren't expensive. No reason to buy a used one, unless you just want a used one.

Are you hunting in mud and water or in a layout in a corn field? If you are hitting the fields with your Carhartts and cover, grab an 870 and kill some birds. If you are in the mud, water and freezing temps; spend the money. Camo looks better in pics. Doubt I have flared many birds with my gun color; my setup, more than likely.

I would say the same as others the gun has to fit right, so I'd shoulder as many as you can. I'm very partial to a benelli myself my sbe is my go to gun for everything from doves to geese. I have about five other shotguns and they haven't come out of the safe since I bought it years ago. That being said if you are going to buy something that cost less than $600 look into the remingtons, just do yourself a favor and stay away from the Mossberg there just cheap imho. I would also agree what was posted about the older remingtons vs. The newer models, you can probably find new old stock leftover on gunbroker. Have fun buying a new gun is always exciting!

There are so many good guns that a guy should ask what gun NOT to buy...

Schmalts, and for every "don't buy that" there is someone that has great experiences with it. I'm not much help, I almost always grab my 20 guage sxs stoeger, I found one with a straight grip which I prefer, and I shoot it as well as I shoot anything. Ducks decoying it works well. Geese I have to be a little more particular. Pheasants I don't get after much, but it's light enough to carry for upland. It's a stoeger, with pressed checkering, and the wood to metal fit isn't perfect, but I bought it used, for under 300 bucks and if a thorn grabs it kicking up birds, I don't cry. My advice is find something you like, and get the most out of it.

Are you hunting in mud and water or in a layout in a corn field? If you are hitting the fields with your Carhartts and cover, grab an 870 and kill some birds. If you are in the mud, water and freezing temps; spend the money. Camo looks better in pics. Doubt I have flared many birds with my gun color; my setup, more than likely.

The camo dip also acts as a protective layer. I don't care about pics, I won't have a shotgun without camo because it makes a world of difference to me. If I hunted up north or out west, I wouldn't worry about it. Game doesn't seem as spooky there as they do down here. At least, from my experience. FMMV

I love a 12ga 3.5" for duck hunting. Very easy to shoot. Steel shot loads don't kick hard, anyway.

Last edited:
Actually my Benelli is camo, but I don't think it is necessary. My next one might be Labrador Yellow, as it will blend in with my 72# hunting partner.

I will stick with 2 3/4 and 3" for hunting my naive birds. 3.5 is of no value for MT ducks....at least the way I hunt.

Montana flaring.
29420629983_97c3576d11_c.jpg

Last edited:
I hadn’t noticed the 2 drakes coming in, what a beautiful photo, damn...

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back