Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Shotgun opinions...

SFC B

I will preface thiws with a few back ground bits. First, I have never owned my own shotgun. Back in the day (MANY moons ago) when I was an LEO I had an 870 that I shot quite a bit but none of my own. I have been waterfowl hunting about 5 times now and really am enjoying it. To the point where I will try to go at least a couple of times a year if I can. On these hunts I have borrowed shotguns. I have hunted with a Benelli SBE (man that was nice), an 870 and a Benelli Supernova. I had a good experience with the Supernova and it appears to be in my price range. I am looking for opinions of experienced folks and maybe some alternative ideas to look into. Thanks

PS....I might also use it for the occasional upland outing

Franchi Affinity. It’s a Benelli M1 at several hundred less. Seriously, there’s even YouTube videos of guys disassembling the two and reassembling with the other’s parts.

I used one on a Saskatchewan goose hunt this fall and then for pheasants. Reliable and lightweight.

I've always had a Mossberg 500 since I was 13 yrs old. I've shot a ton of others, but still would just grab the 500 every time I went out the door.

The good news is there are no bad choices on your list. Some things to consider: if recoil bothers you and you don’t mind regularly cleaning your gun, get a gas automatic instead of a pump or inertia driven gun. Of course, whatever you get should have screw chokes compatible with steel shot (almost all new guns do these days). Unless you are of “average” size, shotgun fit is the critical issue. I would pick a model that comes with a shim kit and butt extension. Unlike the old days when we had to fit ourselves to off the shelf guns, these days the shim kits allow us to get pretty close to a custom fit. Finally, weight is good in waterfowl guns, no so much in upland guns. If you will do much upland hunting you will come to dislike a heavy autoloader in a hurry. Good luck and have fun picking your first shotgun.

I carried a Mossberg 500 in Iraq, so I own one still. With the different chokes available, you can change out for each of your gunning needs. I have shot everything from rabbits to turkeys and waterfowl and a deer with mine. And you can't beat the price of them.

stoeger may be an option as well for semi autos if you are looking into a semi, otherwise I would suggest either the supernova or winchester sxp for a pump, for the winchester its pretty cheap but I have dragged that gun through just about everything and it works everytime I pull the trigger. It wont win a beauty contest but it works.

My vote is for the 870... I bought my first one at age 12 because it was a good price. 20 years later I am shooting the same gun. I have used and abused this gun and it has never let me down. I was going to buy a new one through bass pro last week for $199 but didn't because my original is still putting birds in the bag. For price and longevity - the 870 wins for me. I do want the Remington versa max but I am too cheap. I don't like my dads Rem 1100 but its just personal preference. Never liked the fit and sights of many other brands but Remington and Stoeger fit my stature very well.

At $500 price point I would go with a Mossberg 930 Waterfowl.
At $900 price point I would go with a Benelli Montefeltro 12 gauge.
At $1250 price point I would go with a Benelli M2 12 gauge.
At the $1650 price point I would go with a Benelli SBE3 12 gauge.
In the $1200-$1500 range, the Beretta 400 Xplor 12 gauge is worth looking at too.

I have (or have had) all of these but if I could only have one it would be the Benelli M2, I just don't see the extra value in the SBE3 (but it is really nice). If I needed to save a few bucks I would go with the Montefeltro -- those things shoot forever (http://randywakeman.com/Most_Reliable_Autoloading_Shotgun.htm)

I also have an 870 and a supernova, and they aren't even close to the list above in my opinion. If you are on a tight budget the 930 would be the better choice.

Any 12 gauge will do fine with upland as well. 20 gauge is an option for upland as well, but not enough for geese and marginal for ducks in my opinion.

Go with the one that fits you the best, and that you like. So many options, and if you're looking for an inexpensive, reliable shotgun, cruise the pawnshops for an 870 express. You can usually get one for around $200 - $250.

Perosnally, I'm liking the Browning BPS for waterfowl and upland. It's heavy for Upland, but nice in a blind. Strong action and I've rarely seem them fail in the field. Newer 870's have reports of rough chambers, hindering extraction, Super Novas feel like toys to me, Mossbergs are solid but HEAVY. If you're going tofocus primarily on waterfowl, then heavy is fine. But you'll hate it for upland.

Buy the one you shoot the best. Fit is everything. As an aside the supernova is a bit on the heavy side for upland hunts. I use one for turkey hunting. Great gun but I'd rather not carry it when chasing pheasant.

I find that the above mentioned Mossburgs to be tricky to clean as removable action bars and two piece lug are position sensitive to reassemble after cleaning (and fraught with danger to attempt a quick cleaning/jam clear in the field/marsh). My Winchester is very easy to field strip and clean

Buy once cry once, I’ve have a mossberg 500, had a super nova, both good guns killed lots of ducks and geese and turkeys. Thanks to my wife, I now have a sbe2 love it, everything else stays in safe, had it for couple years.

The current line of 870s are not what the 870 used to be. The new ones seem to be made of some magical rust magnet that won't cycle shells worth a damn. I used to own one that the extractor failed to eject shells on a regular basis...you had to either take the barrel off or drop a stick down the barrel to push the shell out. I thought I was the only one but a good friend had the same exact issue with an even newer one. His gun sometimes required you slam it down to get the action to open. My Mossberg 835 has functioned flawlessly for nearly 20 years...I hear complaints about them too but have no personal experience with any issues.

I have a Stoeger 3500 Waterfowler...this thing shoots great. It does usually needs a little heavier ammo to cycle 100%...that cheap winchester promo stuff doesn't reliable cycle. I loves pheasant loads and recently I shot slugs to see how they recoiled. The recoil on goose and turkey loads is more than a gas operated system but better than a pump.

One thing I learned in the last few years is that 3.5" 12gauge loads really are only good for bruising shoulders and emptying wallets.

I could be wrong but the Stoeger, Franchi, and Benelli M1 might all be the same gun

The fit of Berettas are second to none for me. Gonna run a bit more expensive though but there can be some good deals on used ones.

Huge fan of the wingmaster 870, granted it's a hard find and the one I have is a hand-me-down, but I leave most other shotguns I own at home and just shoot the 870. My next favorite is the Browning BPS, it's a very reasonable priced shotgun and from my experience, it's been a great gun. I shoot a lot of trap & upland and have zero complaints about either. Be sure to check out places around that gives you a military discount! Sportsmans Warehouse here in Cheyenne beat the socks off every one on the BPS price with the discount.

The fit of Berettas are second to none for me. Gonna run a bit more expensive though but there can be some good deals on used ones.

I too am a big fan of Berettas, but the simplicity and easy cleaning of the Benelli inertia guns have begun to win me over for routine hunting (still go for soft shooting Beretta gas guns for high volume shooting).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back