.308 for the grizzly

Here's another story that is in my local paper this morning. Location is Peter's Ridge, a trail within sight of my house where I have hiked scores of times. (Matter of fact, my wife and I bumped a bear last summer when we were picking huckleberries.) Two hunters coming out of the woods in the evening and encounter a grizzly. They both open fire with rifles, turning the bear. They had no pepper spray. Game wardens track the bear as far as they can, but lose the blood trail, and have to give up. I'm not blaming the hunters -- you do what you gotta do in these circumstances and I'm glad they weren't hurt. But the bottom line is there is a wounded bear now on a popular trail, not far from a lot of rural homes. Less than ideal outcome that might have been thwarted with pepper spray.

Wow Dinkshooter, that is an incredible story. Super glad it turned out ok.

...Less than ideal outcome that might have been thwarted with pepper spray.

Pure conjecture, you have no idea what might have happened if they had used spray, it's just as likely that one or both would have been injured. I'm pretty much like most people that live around bears, more often than not the bear will run away if given a chance. But I also believe that if the bear (especially a grizzly) is disturbed while it's on food or protecting it's cubs then your spray probably wont do much of anything to help. If I have time I'll try my best to run a bear off, I certainly don't like killing anything that I don't have to but I'm also not going to allow guilt or fear of being judged by anyone stop me from doing whatever it takes to survive.

i've had my run in with bears in the past,(all black bears), all ran away, so no issues there. i don't believe in slings, so i would holding my rifle in my hand(s), i said bear spray first only because if i had a reasonable amount of time, that would be my first choice,( yes i realize every scenario plays out differently), i was just curious to see if anyone else would be comfortable in grizzly country with a 308, for that one in a million bear that's ornery, and yes i realize shot placement is everything, so don't need to go there. besides i've been in hostile environments, and one just reacts, and sometimes one's reaction may give one time to reassess the situation and act accordingly.

Last edited:
I have no doubt Ben is correct. You should read his book Great Montana Bear Stories. He's probably talked to more people who've had bear encounters than the rest of us combined.
Thanks for the advice, i have just ordered it.
This is an interesting thread for me to read, not having been brought up in a country that has bears.
In the back of my mind when i have hunted in Montana is the chance encounter with a bear, i always carry bear spray, but obviously i am not permitted to carry a hand gun, but reading all this posts, my 30-06 with 180 grain Nosler Partitions might help if things went tits up.
I will keep reading, and i am looking forward to reading Ben's book.
Cheers
Richard

i've had my run in with bears in the past,(all black bears), all ran away, so no issues there. i don't believe in slings, so i would holding my rifle in my hand(s), i said bear spray first only because if i had a reasonable amount of time, that would be my first choice,( yes i realize every scenario plays out differently), i was just curious to see if anyone else would be comfortable in grizzly country with a 308, for that one in a million bear that's ornery, and yes i realize shot placement is everything, so don't need to go there. besides i've been in hostile environments, and one just reacts, and sometimes one's reaction may give one time to reassess the situation and act accordingly.

Hopefully, your reaction time and situation assessment skills will never have to be tested in this particular instance.

The arrow went about 4 inches deep. The bear rolled forward after he hit it and snapped the arrow off. The skull was at the beetle guy last time I talked to him, he was going to keep the broken portion arrow in the skull.

I rad a bunch of these thread's about the handgun to carry hunting. Seem's like everyone, well a lot, seem to believe they will either be attacked by a grizzly or a pot farmer.

Running into a pot farm in the national forest is not uncommon, and I'd rather bump into a bear...

Always go in prepared to see the biggest grizzly you want to see, not the one you are likely to see. Consequently, bring enough gun and leave the 308 at home. 375, 416, or 45-70. Learn how to effectively handle and shoot the big bores so you and your companion(s) will always feel safe and confident.

Always go in prepared to see the biggest grizzly you want to see, not the one you are likely to see. Consequently, bring enough gun and leave the 308 at home. 375, 416, or 45-70. Learn how to effectively handle and shoot the big bores so you and your companion(s) will always feel safe and confident.

And what if you can't shoot those big bores effectively? Griz poop? Lol

When I’m not the hunter I carry a Remington 870 home defense model with the short barrel and room for 6. Three slugs and three with 00 buck. I have my Glock 20 in 10mm with solids in a harness under my Bino harness. Plus I have spray on my hip.

When I’m the hunter my 6.5 creedmoor is on my shoulder with the spray and 10mm in their spots. I’ve had 4 real close Black bear encounters. One so close I could have taken a selfie with him if I had mt phone out. I was glassing in MT and looked over my shoulder after I heard something and 2 yards away was a big blacky looking over my shoulder. All I had was my AR-15 with 30 rounds of 55 gr fmjs. Still don’t know how or why that gun was with me. I grabbed it as I stood up and we were eye to eye. I jacked one in and told me and hm if he comes down from standing in my direction then I’m emptying this clip.

He came down going away and as he went he’d look over his shoulder and give me that “I could have had you if I’d wanted to” look.

Last fall while deer hunting in Utah I’d just shot a buck and was getting my stuff together to go retrieve it right at dark. As I got up I noticed a huge cinnamon coming my way on the ridge I was standing on. The deer was 300 yards above me and the bear below. He got to about 100 yards and I yelled at him. At 80 yards I knelt down and shot my rifle at the dirt at his feet.

At 50 yards I started yelling again. Never once did he change his path or demeanor. He wasn’t charging but it was a “b-line” my direction. At 20 yards I let him have it. As he rolled the 1200 vertical ft into the oak brush I called the game warden to have him meet me in the morning.

I guess he could have gotten closer but it was damn near dark, I was alone, and in the moment I’d given him plenty of warning. He was not the closest bear I’ve been invoked with but he’s the only one who after I knew that he knew that I knew that he knew I was there didn’t go the other way.

It is what it is but at that distance, his attitude, and the way it made me feel, it was time to stay atop the food chain. I still feel that if I had waited longer and with the fact that it was pretty much dark that the tables were going to change.

I've only ever had to shoot one bear in a defensive situation, I've had multiple close calls. The only time was an odd one for me I had shot a cow elk lateish in the evening and decided to back out unsure of the hit. I returned early the next morning and followed her tracks with little blood about 80 yards into the timber when I came upon a younger black bear helping him self to my elk. I tried to scare him off but with a good food source he wasn't leaving. He took two steps to his left to open up a path towards me at about 40 yards (bear season was open and I had a tag) I decided I wasn't going to take my chances if he was going to charge. I have a picture somewhere with the cow and bear together I'll see if I can't find it.

Back