MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Nosler e-tips - how far off the lands?

Canuck_76

I just picked up some 100 grain .257 e-tips and want to build a load for my .257 bee... but sniffing around I hear tell of potential pressure issues, even at moderate charges, that the ttsx doesn't have. Does anyone here have experience with this, or know how far from the lands one should seat e-tips to avoid pressure problems? Will probably start with H1000 to push them.

Thanks!

Don’t push ‘er to the max without a chronograph unless the data was developed specifically for that bullet.

Seems they like 50 thou off just like a Barnes.

They will create a little more pressure than a regular bullet. You just gotta watch with that in mind.

If you're already loading off the lands, you should be fine as long as you start at the minimum load. Honestly, I'm not sure you'd even have a problem if you were touching with the minimum load. I doubt Nosler would produce a bullet that could be a safety issue using normal reloading procedures

If you're already loading off the lands, you should be fine as long as you start at the minimum load. Honestly, I'm not sure you'd even have a problem if you were touching with the minimum load. I doubt Nosler would produce a bullet that could be a safety issue using normal reloading procedures

Etips are copper bullets, they do require a little more then normal procedures. .050 off the lands like Barnes is a good starting point. belly's advice on this is solid.

Rookie question, but I think what yous are talking about is seating the bullet in the casing deep enough so it is actually not in contact with the lands when fired. (???)

So my question is (if I'm following this discussion correctly) wouldn't this create problems with efficiency of the load? Seems expanding gasses would be traveling around the bullet before it actually contacts the rifling. And wouldn't that create a potential problem with the bullet not contacting the lands evenly, for lack of a better word, and thereby not being stabalized when it exits the muzzle?

Bear in mind I've never self loaded, just trying to learn about it.

Rookie question, but I think what yous are talking about is seating the bullet in the casing deep enough so it is actually not in contact with the lands when fired. (???)

So my question is (if I'm following this discussion correctly) wouldn't this create problems with efficiency of the load? Seems expanding gasses would be traveling around the bullet before it actually contacts the rifling. And wouldn't that create a potential problem with the bullet not contacting the lands evenly, for lack of a better word, and thereby not being stabalized when it exits the muzzle?

Bear in mind I've never self loaded, just trying to learn about it.
Every rifle 8s different. Some like a distance from the lands, some like it touching. On bottleneck rifle bullets, the case centers the cartridge so the bullets path is straight down the barrel, hopefully. Adjusting seating depth is done for accuracy, not sure if we care about efficiency so much

Opinions appear to be all over the place. Seems that extra velocity is agreed upon though. Some say you lose accuracy, some say you gain, some say its a safety thing. Idk, ive never loaded for a weatherby.

I’ve never heard about deformation/velocity. But Roy was into velocity. Bigly. A well made barrel should still be accurate despite the feeebore. I have a Shaw-barreled 700 in 300 WBY that shoots well.

Many factory freebore are setup way to loose and thus accuracy can suffer. It does increase velocity by reducing the rate of the pressure curve of a cartridge allowing more powder.
You can setup without freebore but factory ammo would be dangerous and factory load data way to hot.

The E tip should be treated like other monolithic bullets. You can start 050 off the lands but I would start at 020 and just work up your powder charge. Then test seating depth.

As stated above, with a Weatherby you won't get close to the lands and still keep the bullet in the case. I would load to max mag length at different powder charges. Seating depth tinkering then only has one way to go.

Thanks all! I do remember hearing that this action has a lot of freebore... I'll pull it out and see if I can get to .050 off the lands, but I'm guessing you're right... I'll be constrained by magazine length before I ever get there. I haven't loaded for this particular rifle yet, so we'll have to see. It shoots the factory 110 grain Accubonds sub-moa if I do my part (haha), so I imagine that if I set the seating depth for the magazine length it'll still be more than accurate enough and won't give me pressure issues... but I'll start min and watch carefully.

How will you know when your exactly .050 off the lands? I load so I'm just off the lands. I get there by re-seating a new bullet so that when the bolt close's, not only can you feel no restrain by the bullet touching the lands but also absolutely no land marks on the bullet. Yep, you can be off the lands just a midge but if your on just a midge, you'll see land marks on the bullet you can't feel chambering the round. So, even if you use your Hornady tool you still push it in to the lands don't you? And isn't the bullet you use to measure a bullet you would use? Have you ever done that and actually checked the bullet for land marks after measuring? I tend to think that just .050, or what ever distance you want was made up to justify creating a tool that is supposed to measure it, weather it need's it or not is another story! But I do feel being just off the land's is where you should be, just don't know why anymore!

How will you know when your exactly .050 off the lands? I load so I'm just off the lands. I get there by re-seating a new bullet so that when the bolt close's, not only can you feel no restrain by the bullet touching the lands but also absolutely no land marks on the bullet. Yep, you can be off the lands just a midge but if your on just a midge, you'll see land marks on the bullet you can't feel chambering the round. So, even if you use your Hornady tool you still push it in to the lands don't you? And isn't the bullet you use to measure a bullet you would use? Have you ever done that and actually checked the bullet for land marks after measuring? I tend to think that just .050, or what ever distance you want was made up to justify creating a tool that is supposed to measure it, weather it need's it or not is another story! But I do feel being just off the land's is where you should be, just don't know why anymore!

Well, I haven't tried it with the .257 but yes, for my 7-08 I use the hornady tool with the threaded case and push the bullet until it touches the lands and then back off the oal by a few thou to get minimal jump. I think for that rifle I was also somewhat limited by mag length and ended up .025 from the lands. Does that make sense? I've only been doing this for a year or so, so let me know if I'm effing it up somewhere! I'll check the .257 this weekend to see if it's even possible given the freebore.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back