Side Focus (parallax) Adjustment

VikingsGuy

As I have updated/upgraded my scopes over the years I have found myself putting "side focus" as a required feature for any purchase. It adds an approx. 15% premium in most cases vs similar quality scopes lacking that feature. Most of the scopes I have bought recently have had top end zoom of 12x to 16x so I have have been biting the bullet on this upcharge. But I have stumbled across a super great deal on a ED glass scope 2-10x 40% cheaper than I would typically have paid, but it does not have side focus knob (fixed parallax at 100yds). I assume this is because it has a lower max magnification of 10x. I am putting this on an all around big game .308 and my max shot will be 350yds, with most 150-250yds, so the 2-10x is perfect.

So, what does the collective HuntTalk wisdom say, at those magnification levels and distances is lack of side focus going to be a problem for me?

Not a problem at all.
I regularly shoot to 500 yards with 4-12 power scopes without any paralax adjustment.

Revently bought a Vortex Diamondback "Tactical" 4-12X40.
One of my biggest peeves with it is 1 in tube diameter.

A scope has no parallax adjustment for one of two reasons; it's inexpensive or it's setup for a specific range. Your scope is a short range rifle scope that is setup to have the parallax adjusted out at 100 yards which means that at any other range you could see some aiming error, depending on how good your cheek weld is. I personally prefer having a parallax adjustment but I don't think that it's necessary for most shooters at short range (under 300 yards). Parallax is important to shooters that want the greatest precision possible but if you aren't trying to be a bench rest shooter then it wont be of much importance to you. At 300 yards it's possible to see as much as a couple of inches of bullet impact error which, compared to the kill zone of most game animals, isn't going to mean that you'll miss but the error will get larger with distance. When you're shooting at 500 yards or more it starts to become pretty important with errors growing accordingly.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back