Serious Elk Hunting Boots

Southern Elk

I've done the evolution of hiking boots that I'm sure many of you have. When I first started hunting I used Danner Pronghorns, then Merrells, then Cabelas Meindls, and most recently Vasque. I was pleased with the Meindls, but they started leaking on my hunt last year and I was forced to get the Vasque boots, because that's all that I could find on short notice in rural Colorado. The Vasque boots have since started leaking as well. Now that I'm living in MT and using my boots more than a week or two a year, I'm ready to upgrade to a high end boot. My requirements are that they DO NOT leak, are comfortable, and they will last for several years. What recommendations do you guys have?

not a brand that gets much love here but I've really fell in love with my Zamberlans.

Those cabelas boots should be warrantied for you.

Mee too, Southern Elk. My danner pronghorns gave it up this year and my feet hurt all the time when I was in the mountains :W:. they never could hold out water/snow. I am ready to drop some
$$ on a top end boot that let's me forget about my feet whilst I am side hilling or packing some weight

not a brand that gets much love here but I've really fell in love with my Zamberlans.

Those cabelas boots should be warrantied for you.

I have a friend who swears by his Zamberlans. I need to check on that warranty. Thanks for the reminder.

I personally love my Kennetreks. They’ll also rebuild the sole once you need it for significantly below the cost of what a new pair run.

Kenetreks, been wearing one pair for 5 seasons plus lots of hiking with a pack to get in shape in the hills at home. Sent then in this year to get resoled as there wasn't much tread left, put the 6th season on this fall. I do own more than one pair now, one uninsulated, and one 400 gram. The uninsulated has the most miles

I'm partial to Lowa Ranger boots with Archmold insoles and OR Croc gaiters. They occasionally pop up on Sierra Trading Post for about half price.

Last edited:
I am not convinced any boot w a goretex liner can remain waterproof over the long haul. The fabric liner presses, bends and rubs against the inside of the outer boot every time I take a step. That said, I had a pair of Red Wings that went 10 years of use (2 weeks/year) before leaking. My current Vasque Erikksons have 30 days in 2 years, no leaks. I prefer all-leather uppers, I use sno seal on them. I would like to hear if anyone gets more than a few years of dry feet out of goretex boots.

Schnee's Hunter II packs are great! They are especially wonderful when it's snowy and wet. The airbob sole has great traction and they can rebuild the bottoms or tops when and if you ever wear them out.

White's Outdoorsman. I just purchased a pair of these boots - non-insulated version - and love them. So far they have been fantastic. I hunted with them when temps were in the 20's and there was snow from a few inches then clear up to our knees. In those temps my feet never got cold. I'm glad I got the non-insulated version as my feet are always warm. The White's boots are also rebuildable!

Last edited:
I like my Lowa Hunters, but the last two seasons, the Scarpas have been treating me well.

Attachments

• boot.jpg
    boot.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 1,400
I have a friend who swears by his Zamberlans. I need to check on that warranty. Thanks for the reminder.

I've got a couple pairs of the Meindls, one of which started separating the rubber rand from the leather. I brought them back and Cabelas replaced them lickity-split. I expect they'd do the same for you.

I have a couple pairs. For less steep terrain, I use Asolo Fugitive's (Gore-Tex). For steeper country, I use La Sportiva Karakorum's (Non-Gore) I've just rubbed lots of Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP. Both are really great boots and have served me well.

Try either the Crispi Hunter or the Crispi Guide ( same construction, Hunter is 2" taller than the 10" Guide). Most comfortable boot ever. No break-in required. Extremely sturdy. Call BlackOvis (CrispiUs).

Kenetreks, been wearing one pair for 5 seasons plus lots of hiking with a pack to get in shape in the hills at home. Sent then in this year to get resoled as there wasn't much tread left, put the 6th season on this fall. I do own more than one pair now, one uninsulated, and one 400 gram. The uninsulated has the most miles

This!

If you have a narrow foot, Asolo makes a great boot. I usually get three years out of a pair and most of those miles are while chasing Chukar in the God forsaken lava cliff country they are known to inhabit.

Last edited:
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back