Serious Elk Hunting Boots

Anyone have any luck with Danner's? Currently using Pronghorn 400gr

I have used Danner for years, the Elk Ridge, Acadian for duty wear, Radical 452 GTX, Mountain Hiker (all leather), and 4 pairs of Pronghorns. My pronghorns are about three years old, and the old model which I like. Several years ago, they changed the construction, and the toe box is now larger. They look like Ronald McDonald boots now, and don't fit me worth a crap. I have since moved on to Kenetrek (tried the Mountain Extreme but didn't fit me right causing foot problems) then on to Crispi Hunter GTX. The Crispi is "THE BOOT" for me. Excellent fit, comfort, waterproofness, and sturdy enough for Elk chasin' across the mountains of New Mexico and Colorado.

I have the Lowa Tibets. As others have stated, Gore Tex will leak eventually, sooner rather than later IME. I'm considering going with the leather lined Tibets from a breathability standpoint. I also have wide feet and the Crispi's have been intriguing.

For a person with narrow feet the choices are few. I have and like the Lowa Renegades. I have and liked, until one of the eyelets broke, the Vasque St. Elias. I got a new set from Vasque and on the second triop the same eyelet let go. I am hopeing to get a pair of Lowa Trekkers as soon as they are available because it is a bit stouter boot for carrying a pack than the Renegades. Google Lowa Narrow boots and you will find that they have offerings not found in the stores for both wide and narrow feet.

Thanks for the info. I have a pair and I really like them... but haven’t tested them for a cold Elk hunt. They are great for deer season and hiking around. Dumped my feet in a few creeks and stayed dry. I was just wondering any other feedback!

I've always been a Danner guy...but only buy the made in Portland models such as the Quarry, Elk Hunter and Canadian...or any boot they term recraftable. All the cheap boots, to introduce people to Danner, are made over seas...if it's got a molded EVO sole stay away. The old Pronghorns were pretty good but I'd steer clear of a new set.

I personally like the insulated Quarry models. For many, it's the weight of the US made Danner that turns them off not the construction or fit. They all eventually leak. The trick is to keep them clean and protected. Keep them dry...this means have at least a couple pairs to hunt in, that way you can clean and dry your boot and reapply SnoWax prior to a day of hunting. Coupled with Gaiters your feet should stay dry all day long. In my experience more than 400gr thinsulate and the moisture I accumulate in my socks, is my own.

Another Schnees Beartooth fan here. In fact, I am a HUGE fan of these boots. First pair lasted 8 years for waterproofing. I called them to ask what a reasonable warranty was for the new pair I was gonna buy. They said send the old pair back. I said, "no, that pair has been on many elk and pheasant hunts and you don't owe me a thing!". She got all serious and said, "I know, that is fine. send them back". I tried again to tell her no and she cut me off and made it very clear she wanted me to send them back. I figured they would fix them. instead, I got a new pair in the mail. And the old pair too! I am a Schnees fan for life and I share this story of exceptional customer service to hopefully repay them for their good deeds. Plus, they are by FAR the best pair of footwear I have ever had. I smile every time I put them on.

I've done the evolution of hiking boots that I'm sure many of you have. When I first started hunting I used Danner Pronghorns, then Merrells, then Cabelas Meindls, and most recently Vasque. I was pleased with the Meindls, but they started leaking on my hunt last year and I was forced to get the Vasque boots, because that's all that I could find on short notice in rural Colorado. The Vasque boots have since started leaking as well. Now that I'm living in MT and using my boots more than a week or two a year, I'm ready to upgrade to a high end boot. My requirements are that they DO NOT leak, are comfortable, and they will last for several years. What recommendations do you guys have?

Check out the Danner "Canadians", on my 4th season with them and love em..... Haven't found any leather mountain boot that is waterproof- seems the gore-tex liner in all of them last only a season or two, them i'm back to using Sno Seal to keep my feet dry. I think that's just the way it is.......

Another Schnees Beartooth fan here. In fact, I am a HUGE fan of these boots. First pair lasted 8 years for waterproofing. I called them to ask what a reasonable warranty was for the new pair I was gonna buy. They said send the old pair back. I said, "no, that pair has been on many elk and pheasant hunts and you don't owe me a thing!". She got all serious and said, "I know, that is fine. send them back". I tried again to tell her no and she cut me off and made it very clear she wanted me to send them back. I figured they would fix them. instead, I got a new pair in the mail. And the old pair too! I am a Schnees fan for life and I share this story of exceptional customer service to hopefully repay them for their good deeds. Plus, they are by FAR the best pair of footwear I have ever had. I smile every time I put them on.

When did this happen? Schnees Boot's are great their customer service is abysmal, I was in and out of the store a half dozen times trying to get my boots fixed when a lace hook fell off first day out, and then had another disaster trying to get a boot resoled.

Last edited:
Love my Lowa Tibets. Kennetrek was good too, buy my feet like Lowas a little better. Every foot is different, so try on as many brands as you can and see what works best for you.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back