Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Public lands$

Killergaurd

I have always wondered why forest service or blm or state does not buy land that would provide access to more public lands. Maybe its a stupid question by myself. I have seen several times if one of these public funded organizations would have stepped in there would be more hunting oppurtunity for the public.

Many groups will raise the money, help with matching programs, and buy land and hold it until FS or States can take ownership of it either through gifting or purchase. The Bugle (RMEF) had a story this monty about how they held a purchase until the money was raised by FS (Forget where). NWTF, TU, and many other conservation groups do this same thing. NWTF ran a story about a particular piece of land and it had nearly a dozen groups that funded the purchase of one massive ranch (again, I forget where.)

If you contact your favorite conservation group and ask them how they are enahncing access, you may be surprised just how many irons they have in the fire.

Sometimes conservation easements are the way to go.
Second this, my wife's family did an easement on their property because there is a road across their property that provides the only access to a huge amount of BLM and they wanted to make sure it stays open if they ever sell. They figured their kids might not want to run the place and there has been lots of shenanigans lately closing off access points. I'm sure they also got a tax right off...

I have always wondered why forest service or blm or state does not buy land that would provide access to more public lands. Maybe its a stupid question by myself. I have seen several times if one of these public funded organizations would have stepped in there would be more hunting oppurtunity for the public.

AS BHR and others have said, the Fed does this, but it takes time and money, and most importantly, a willing landowner. Several methods both state and federal exist to increase access and purchase strategic parcels. The Land & Water Conservation Fund is the biggest mechanism to do so and has provided for millions of acres of new public land as well as opening landlocked public land. LWCF conservation easements do not require access however, as they are designed for another key issue: Keeping Ag land intact in critical wildlife areas so we don't lose important winter range, etc.

Other ways to achieve the goal are through strategic, small parcel land swaps & transfers, purchase of inholdings through congressional action, open fields programs, CRP, etc. At the state level, many states have conservation easement programs, tax incentive programs, etc, to open landlocked parcels. Generally, all of these government programs are revenue generators in that conservation organizations match funding, sometimes at a 6:1 ratio or more - meaning that for every dollar of federal money, 6 dollars of private money are raised to help.

Programs like LWCF and FLTFA have been used to great effect at the federal level, yet their future remains in jeopardy due to sunsets and expiration of existing authorities. Several powerful lobbying organizations like the Heritage Fund and Americans for Prosperity are working to eliminate these programs unfortunately, and we're not making much headway in securing future funding on a sustainable basis.

Want more public land purchased? Start supporting conservation groups and advocate its importance to your congressman and senator.

Ya you see it once in a while. Just would like to see alot more. I gotta be honest i have never supported any group or organization. Thought about RMEF or the mule deer foundation. Good info fellas. Thanks. In your opions which irg or group does the most for the public hunter.

I will be asking my wife for a subscribtion to bugle for cmas. First time ever. Loved it when bugle magazine was on the shelves.

I will be asking my wife for a subscribtion to bugle for cmas. First time ever. Loved it when bugle magazine was on the shelves.

Cant go wrong with RMEF. Pick the specices/Activity you like and then find a conservation group that promotes it and look at their legacy of supporting and improving public lands. Other good ones: NWTF, TU, Pheasants Forver, Delta Waterfowl.

I started a thread about a week ago after I joined RMEF. I also am an active member of a local California conservation and youth hunting org.

AS BHR and others have said, the Fed does this, but it takes time and money, and most importantly, a willing landowner. Several methods both state and federal exist to increase access and purchase strategic parcels. The Land & Water Conservation Fund is the biggest mechanism to do so and has provided for millions of acres of new public land as well as opening landlocked public land. LWCF conservation easements do not require access however, as they are designed for another key issue: Keeping Ag land intact in critical wildlife areas so we don't lose important winter range, etc.

Other ways to achieve the goal are through strategic, small parcel land swaps & transfers, purchase of inholdings through congressional action, open fields programs, CRP, etc. At the state level, many states have conservation easement programs, tax incentive programs, etc, to open landlocked parcels. Generally, all of these government programs are revenue generators in that conservation organizations match funding, sometimes at a 6:1 ratio or more - meaning that for every dollar of federal money, 6 dollars of private money are raised to help.

Programs like LWCF and FLTFA have been used to great effect at the federal level, yet their future remains in jeopardy due to sunsets and expiration of existing authorities. Several powerful lobbying organizations like the Heritage Fund and Americans for Prosperity are working to eliminate these programs unfortunately, and we're not making much headway in securing future funding on a sustainable basis.

Ben, Haven't some states adopted a no net change in amount of private land to protect the tax base? Essentially if a conservation organization or government department convert private to public then the same amount and/or value of property needs to become private?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back