MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Bullet Drop

gregt9146

Just throwing out a scenario. I reload Nosler 165gr Accubonds and go straight out of the nosler reloading guide. I use 60 grains of RL15 powder and the WRLM primer. The Nosler book say muzzle velocity is 3090 FT/Sec. Anyways here is my question. I sighted in dead on at 200 yards, the book says it will drop roughly 6" at 300 yards. How much drop is there at 300 yards if you have say a 25 MPH head wind?

You must verify drops on paper before you shoot at game. The books and ballistic charts will get you close, but you really need to check. at 400 yards I am usually 5 inches different

if you have say a 25 MPH head wind?

25mph headwind is 36fps, against a 3090fps baseline, so head/tail winds have a very small effect.

As for drop, the calculation is a starting point, but confirming actual fps with your load in your gun with chrono, and actual drop at your desired distance are important to have any certainty regarding your trajectory.

generally ignore head and tail wind effects. I'd consider differences between published velocities and actual more important. Always verify on drops on paper at a min. Cronigraphing your load is ideal followed by verifying drops on paper. Elevation, temp and humidity all effect velocity and bullet flight

If you're looking for an estimate, use a ballistics calculator. There are lots online (and check the barrel length on Nosler's data. They often test with really long ones, which makes their velocities look high).
If you really want to know though, you have to test it. I've never found actual drop to be the same as estimated drop. Usually off by a couple of inches.

Just throwing out a scenario. I reload Nosler 165gr Accubonds and go straight out of the nosler reloading guide. I use 60 grains of RL15 powder and the WRLM primer. The Nosler book say muzzle velocity is 3090 FT/Sec. Anyways here is my question. I sighted in dead on at 200 yards, the book says it will drop roughly 6" at 300 yards. How much drop is there at 300 yards if you have say a 25 MPH head wind?

You may or may not get the same velocity that Nosler get's, that way with every manual. Best way to check of course is run it through a chronograph and even then shoot at the ranges you said and see how it compares with the Nosler data.

What cartridge are you talking about?

It looks like your shooting 300 WSM.

Several things..

1) 60 gr of RL15 is a max charge. Don't start there assuming it's safe just because it's in the book. Start low and work up.

2) why choose RL15 when there are better ( more case fill, better velocity) powders?

3) that 3090 fps was with a 26" barrel. Calculated for standard day. Sea level, 59 degrees F, 29.95 baro. Unless your shooting on the beach in SC your velocities will be different.

A ballistic calculator will get you close for academic purposes (http://www.jbmballistics.com/ballistics/calculators/calculators.shtml). You probably know this, but just a reminder that reloading manual data is specific to their rifle and test conditions. Always start low and work up using the manual as a guide. Additionally, any calculations done for practical purposes need to be done with data specific to your rifle. If you go off their data you will be way off, guaranteed.

Elkaholic,
I use Strelok myself, but then i like having my ballistics with me in the field.

At the desktop i do use JBM and Quick Target.

The best book on shooting and reloading I have ever found is "Long Range Shooting: Hitting Targets at Distance" by Anthony Cirrecone Jr. It details very simple procedures that answer a lot of questions on this post and would help a person who doesn't own a gun or reloading equipment to progress in steps to a very competent marksmen and reloader. The book is very cheap on-line right now and I think the experienced rifleman/reloader would enjoy the content very much

Back