Caribou Gear

Cold weather pants

Ronin75

I want to buy my son a pair of cold weather pants to use next year when we hunt in Montana. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Skre if on a budget or only a rifle hunter.
I also use Sitka Timberlines and love them but the Skre price is hard to beat and it is wind proof and very water resistant. - it is louder then the Timberlines tho so if archery hunter save up for Sitka

I’ve tried them all seriously, but if you want want a true cold weather pant not just a cool weather pant, a woolrich Malone wool pant is the best, not the lightest or most comfortable to walk in but the best cold weather pant on the planet IMO. They are actually fairly comfortable to walk in too. Long johns and a cool weather pant works just as well though.

I use the Sitka timberline pants, they’re pretty good. I’ll put long johns on under them down to just above zero. If it’s colder than that it’s pretty hard to beat wool.

Wool clumps snow and gets heavy as heck when you trench all day long. Wool will melt a hole near flame. Wool tears easiley - how many croches have you blown out? Wool soaks up blood if you touch it boning your critter. I’ve worn wool for 30 years. No more wool for me - (Go wild sheep!!)

Top synthetics are mostly water proof if the weather changes. Packs down to half the size/weight of wool pants. It dries twice as fast in the tent at night. A pair of skre pants with layers beats wool in so many ways imo.

What are you going to be here for? I generally wear a standard hunting pant with a merino base layer under down into the 30s or less. This year I picked up a pair of Browning soft shell pants that are wind proof and water resistant, not Sitka but they were 43 bucks on Sierra trading post. they seem to breath alright too, which I was worried about because I sweat like a whore in church on the mountain. Depending on what you are doing, just have him layer up good and he will be fine. Our weather has been crazy here the last few years, some mornings I have went out and it is only 15 degrees and by noon it's 60 and I'm sweating my ass off.

I bought Kuiu (not the heaviest ones) on raving reviews and they fell apart. My next pair of pants will be sitka timberlines.

Sitka Timberline with thermal long johns underneath work well for me. For glassing in bitter cold, I layer Mountain Hardwear compressor pants over the Timberlines.

I wore Sitka Timberlines last week for a cow hunt in Wyoming. I used a midweight merino base layer under them. I was very comfortable down to single digits with windchills around -10. My only complaint is that the waterproof seat isn't also cactus proof. Ouch! They are by far my favorite pant I've worn.

I like Sitka Timberline but tend to use the Kryptek Cadog. With merino base layers it is good in very cold weather as is the Timberline. Cadog it quieter. Both are really good.

Last edited:
Wool. I use Army surplus pants from 55 to 30ish. I have heavier wool pants for really cold weather.

The synthetic pants on the market are cheap and will only last a few seasons of hard use. I’ve owned many of them and keep going back to wool.

I love Sitka Timberlines, but recently tried a pair of Duluth Trading Company Blackhills pants (DWR and wind resistant) on a Mt Lion hunt. They don't have the waterproof seat and knees, but they did a great job. Combine either of these pants with some merino base layers and good gaiters and you will be good to go.

Additional note: Duluth trading company has these pants on sale right now for $59.....

Am I the only one that can't even get close to heavier pants? I can only use a light weight base or I will be burning up in a quickness. I guess I run pretty hot.

I love Sitka Timberlines, but recently tried a pair of Duluth Trading Company Blackhills pants (DWR and wind resistant) on a Mt Lion hunt. They don't have the waterproof seat and knees, but they did a great job. Combine either of these pants with some merino base layers and good gaiters and you will be good to go.

Additional note: Duluth trading company has these pants on sale right now for $59.....

I went to the Bloomington store and grabbed a pair! Thanks for the heads up.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back