Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

38/357 snake handloads

Rooster52

I bought some Speer plastic shot cups for my 38 ,now wonder what powder to use for sake load? I have some IMR 4227 and Acc 5 on hand.

[video=youtube;YtESCzh5KBo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtESCzh5KBo[/video]

This guy shares the data from Speer...google searches suggested Unique, Bullseye, or 231

Depending on the weight of the shot cups when filled with shot, I would start with the starting load and powder for that bullet weight. I loaded some using a .38 special load using WW231 powder. That was 30 years ago, so I am not sure what powders are popular now. I found that a medium load made the best pattern with the shot. The hotter the load, the more inconsistent the pattern became making it really spread out.

I only used snake shot in my pistol once. Store bought stuff. As best as I can remember it was #9 shot. Even getting as close as I ever care to again at a forearm sized water moccasin that invaded our Tampa 4th of July BBQ, it was a pretty abysmal performance. (We had to rid A Lot of snakes that summer). Yeah, I killed the big bastard, but it was with about 2-3 pellets. If you're loading your own, I'd say go down to #10 or #12. Otherwise get a cheap 410 and be done with it with certainty!

Otherwise use what we had to (Not recommended). A hoe, a 30/30, a machete, a rake, a tire iron, a couple cinder blocks & a sledge hammer.

I made some homemade shot shells for my .357. I used .357 brass and used "gas checks" for the over powder wad, put in a weighed amount of #6 shot, then used a "gas check" at the mouth of the case to hold the shot in place. A roll crimp held the gas check at the mouth of the case quite well, and I got decent patterns with the shells. They had to be shot out of a .357 due to the length of the shell, but they were loaded to a .38 velocity. Gas checks were cheap at the time, about $4.00 for a thousand when I was casting my own bullets, and had to have the gas check on them to reduce leading.

I could not get very satisfactory results from my 357 with bird shot so I purchased a Taurus Judge 45/410. No.6 shot at 15 feet will ruin a snakes day for sure.
Thanks for the replies.

Of the two powders you listed, I would try the Accurate #5. The 4227 is a very slow burning powder for pistols (shorter barrel). It will leave a lot of unburned powder in the barrel, and inconsistent loads. Loading it into the shotshells would probably be even worse. I used WW231 for my loads in reply #5 above.
The "Judge" will definitely work well, nice choice !! Check out the different loads for self defense, they have some with buckshot and flat copper projectiles stacked, and each pull of the trigger releases multiple projectiles. Within 7 yards, they will discourage any "varmint".

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back