Building a new rifle verses buying

How dare you say that on here. I got my ass kicked for saying similar things lol

I've never hidden my feelings about Howa rifles. Just don't like them. Or the Vanguard, which I had knowledge of first. Lots of reasons. Leupold and Nosler are sponsors here also. I am a loyal Leupold and Nosler user, and used them well before I joined here. Randy uses a certain pickup. I wouldn't buy one of them on a bet. Using sponsored gear isn't a requirement of being a member. mtmuley

I have shot Remington for many years most have been very good. However, for a rifle I wasn't going to tinker with, I believe the Howa is a good bit better. Remington has so much aftermarket support partially because so much support is needed.

In all fairness to the Sponsor, I’ve reached out to Matt several times to see if there was a way to make this happen with a Howa with in the price range. I never got a response or call back so I took that as a No. I called and Legacy’s gunsmith did offer me a used receiver that would be stamped with a large 8 so it would never be warranted as it had been a defective return. But the savings was negligible when compared to a complete barrel action thru Brownells. Even with all that, at the end of the day there was no one could touch the price point this gunsmith could do it for. Pricing every thing he had put together for it would of run me almost the 750. They do enough sales that they have some good buying power and were willing to pass it on.

That sounds like you got a good deal. I look forward to hearing how it turns out! My next gun project will be installing a new barrel on my .308. I'm getting a prefit Shilen and going to finish chamber and crown myself. I've had the rifle since I was 12, the dang thing just wont hold a group anymore!

Well this project has taken a unwelcome turn. What I am finding out is that the good price means that I don't get to choose my barrel contour, I get the one they have. Which is a Shilen Sendaro, this is the barrel cut that most of the Military/Police sniper rifles come in. So as you can guess it's heavier than the #5 contour that I wanted and I cannot get the stock for it that I wanted. It is possible to make it work but it would involve ordering a custom stock from Boyds as they only offer it in a long action and I need a short action. Or I would have to order a more tactical stock like a Bell & Carlson M40. I think it would be a nice gun, but not the gun I wanted.

I am wondering if I continue with the build if I will ever accept that its not what I wanted, but it was worth the price so... The wife is awesome and approved the extra 500 to get one the way I want it. Not sure what I am going to do...

Why can’t you get the stock you were wanting? Most can be opened up enough to accept a sendero contour

Why can’t you get the stock you were wanting? Most can be opened up enough to accept a sendero contour

I can order it as a long action with the correct cut. in order for it to come in a short action it comes as a regular Rem barrel profile. This means that the fore end can get opened up but there will be an inch gap where the D measurement is that would have to be filled in with bedding compound. I don't want to see all that bedding compound if I am ordering a custom rifle. They are also going to charge me an extra 100 to bed the rifle. At the end of the day if I get the #5 contour I asked for it will fit like it is supposed to in the wood stock I was after.

barrel contour.png

Stocky's Stocks has a pile of stocks cut for Sendero barrel profiles.

I spent a lot of time looking at them and if I were to buy the M40 I would buy it from them. When you filter their options in wood with out a thumbhole there are very few options and I just don't care for them. I am kinda stuck on that pic in the first post and that is a Boyd's. After looking at the Boyd's, I really liked that prairie hunter model.

Back