Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Building a new rifle verses buying

What donor should I be looking for? A complete tactical SPS with light Varmint contour where I only need to rebarrel? Or a old beater in the used gun rack to just get the action off from? I’ve also seen 700 stainless steel receivers with my discount for 350ish.

It's really a personal preference thing. I wouldn't purchase a new action or rifle to only strip it and barrel. I'd go for the used beater and have my smith true it up, reblue it and put the new tube on it. The rifles I've had done this way produce sub MOA accuracy and cost less than a new rifle.

I would buy the Ruger American already chambered in 450BM for about $500. Then put it in either a Boyds wood laminate or one of the new Magpul American Hunter stocks. Either way you have a solid rifle for WAAAAAAAY less than $1700!

I went to the gun store tonight and tried the new actions of Ruger American, Howa 1500, and Remington 700 SPS side by side. I can definitely say the Howa is the nicest. The Remington was smooth but the coating on it left much to be desired. The Ruger was just cheap and clunky. Putting a Boyd’s stock on that action would be putting a ball gown on a truck stop lot lizard. Looks good from a distance but when you put start playing with it you know you made a mistake your gonna regret.

I went to the gun store tonight and tried the new actions of Ruger American, Howa 1500, and Remington 700 SPS side by side. I can definitely say the Howa is the nicest. The Remington was smooth but the coating on it left much to be desired. The Ruger was just cheap and clunky. Putting a Boyd’s stock on that action would be putting a ball gown on a truck stop lot lizard. Looks good from a distance but when you put start playing with it you know you made a mistake your gonna regret.

You should see what I did in Budapest or Ti Juana :W:

Last edited:
John for some reason that doesn’t surprise me. Lol

I ended up finding a used Howa .308 1500 action tonight. I am pretty sure that is the rout I am going to go.

I prefer to build... Mainly so I can personalize it to exactly what I want... That being said, I have a couple factory rifles that shoot 1/2" groups and fit pretty perfectly.

I thought I was the only guy on the planet that didn't care for the AR platform. Just like my bolts, that's all. mtmuley

I don't like them either but my son loves the things! I feel I should dis-own him but not yet! I think for hunting rifle's bolts are the only way to go, just me and you mtmuley! Oh yea, don't forget the wood stock! Only one way I would get a custom and that's in a cartridge I can't get in a commercial rifle. My 6.5x06 is maybe a semi custom. Re-barreled a 25-06 I had. Have a custom 30-06 that I inherited. Done by Paul Jaeger in 1945 for the guy I got it from. Most beautiful rifle I've ever seen! In 1945 it cost him $500. Had it assessed in 1992 for one heck of a lot more than that. More than 15x's more. Never hunted with it till this year, just worth to much. Now in what time I have left, gonna try to wear it out, doubt I can!

When I did my 6.5x06 I did a 6.5x55 for the wife at the same time. Actually not much more than a barrel job and fitting. Bought a Parker-Hale 1200 at a gun show. had the barrel replaced with a 23" Shilen barrel and the shock cut to fit her. Then did the bedding and stock re-finish myself. Not really custom I guess but still cost me a bunch of money!

Good choice. Good luck, and keep us posted!

I called quite a few Gun Smiths today to find one that can make a .450 B barreled action out of it. I found a hand full but a lot don't have the reamers for that cartridge. I am trying to get an average cost for rebarrel and blueprinting but I am finding that difficult. Any recommendations on good one?

Reamers usually run between 130 and 160. Check pacific tool and die or brownells. Last i checked on price of a rebarrel /blueprint it was around $350 minus cost of the barrel.

1) i'm surprised you can use 450 BM in a "shot gun area".

2) I don't like ARs either.

3) Rem action for 308 family runs about $345

4) Dumoulin Mauser action from e-sarcoinc.com runs $349.95

5) if you think the Howa action is smoother than the Ruger American you have a ring screw loose..

6) try 4D Reamer Rental. $42 for reamer and go/no go gauges for a week.

450 bushmaster fits quite a few states straight wall cartridges rule. They are so popular here now in ARs that you can get a screaming deal on used slug guns here.

I had a ruger m77 that I put a Timney trigger on and loved it. However there is a big difference between that action and a American. I wanted to give it a fair shake and put all three next to each other and the Howa won.

Ok, here are the quotes I got back: Both are complete blueprinted drop in actions with bottom metal and with a Shilen match grade barrel threaded for a supplied end cap. Both shops have made several of these and are getting great accuracy out of them out past their ethical effective range.

1: New Remington action 700 with Timney trigger, a Badger ORD Tactical Bolt Knob, choice of contour, beadblasted and Duracoated for $750. Comes with a verbal accuracy claim, no guarantee seeing I will be bedding it into a stock.

2: Used Howa 1500 action with factory trigger adjusted and #5 contour and cerakoted for $810. This one comes with a written 3 shot group MOA at 100 yards guarantee

I was partial to the Howa but the Remington is screaming buy me! I like not having to have a Magazine and just having a bottom floor plate. I think the rough coating issue I had with how the test one operated will not be an issue seeing he is starting with a blued action and not a coated action that the factory SPS had.

FYI: I Paid $600 for a new barrel & action blue printing on my old Ruger. I think $750 for the Remington is not a bad deal at all.

Agree with Ben. That's a good deal on the Remington. Actually, that's a very good deal.

Parts alone cost close to that.

It almost seems like too good of a deal. He said he did a bulk order a while ago and the stuffs been sitting in the corner. This is a pretty major gun store so I’m betting they got a good deal and I’m probably going to get a used trigger assembly for him to come in at that price. Attached is the receiver and the last build he did for a customer in 450.

63230CC8-2625-450E-992F-DAEA12245A9F.jpegE6D86E23-51B8-412D-AF83-9406C1DEC208.jpeg

Well, after a month of skepticism on building this .450 Bushmaster, I finally went and put down the deposit on it. I along with most I’ve talked to find it hard to believe he can do it for 750, but true to his word he had all the parts there and they were all new ready to be assembled.

Looking forward to getting this thing and putting some rounds thru it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back