Caribou Gear

Building a new rifle verses buying

Addicting

450bushmasters_3models.jpg

I found this .450 Bushmaster built on a Howa 1500 SA that was a really nice gun. I am in the market for a new rifle that I can use here in MI Shotgun zone and .450 B is the most reasonable choice. I wanted to open up to the forum as this is would be my first build. I don't have any use for the .308 barrel if I have to order one that way to get the SA with a .308 bolt face. I sent Matt at Legacy a PM about just buying the receiver. I know where I can source the Shilen barrel and Boyd stock from. I have a local custom gun shop that can mate, headspace, and lap the action and barrel together. The question is: If I take on this project am I going to be in a money pit verses just buying one already built from the custom shop for 1700$. Is this even a feasible build for a 1st build? Or would I be better to buy a Howa 1500 and just rebarrel it? BTW I am really partial to the wood stock in the photo. There is a lot of experience on this forum so let me know your thoughts.

Thanks Tony

You're going to end up pumping a lot of $ into it however the 450 Bushmaster would be a good cartridge for your needs. I doubt it will cost $1700 total if you go with Shilen and Boyd.

I know Ruger makes an American rifle in 450 Bushmaster for about what it would cost for a Howa 1500 or an action and stock...admittedly it isn't the prettiest rifle. Another alternative is to purchase a Savage rifle and a 450 bushmaster barrel and do the work yourself. Personally I don't see the need for a muzzlebrake however the Ruger American does have one factory installed.

I’ve looked at the Ruger American with a 22” barrel and at $599 it is a good deal. I just wasn’t in love with it. The stock is just crappy plastic and I couldn’t bring myself to buy it. To get a wood stock there is the gun scout which is ugly or the #1. I don’t want to spend the money on a #1 to have a single shot. That is what is leading me to custom. But I thought the 1700 was a little steep.

Boyds makes stocks for the american also. I have a couple in their prairie hunter pattern that are very comfortable. Make sure you spring for their upgraded recoil pad as their standard might as well be steel.

I'd buy the American and restock or an AR before the Howa. Both could be done cheaper than the price you listed.

Since you're going to take up handloading, might want to think about the 357 Max. Can be loaded to nearly duplicate the 30-30. Easiest to get in a single shot.

Tyler is that what you have for your boys?

P_ham, I took my computer and looked at the Boyd website last night and saw what you are talking about. On my phone when I had looked at that option previously nothing came up under the stock builder for the Ruger American. Did you glass bed the “Power Bedding” pillars? If so how did it turn out?

Marksjeep, it is the best and cheapest action I could find to build off from. Rem 700 actions are more than a Howa barrel action. Howa’s feel just as smooth if not better. The only issue was the metric threads which I can order from Shilen when I buy the barrel.

I guess I need to revisit the Ruger action and trigger and pay more attention to it and not the stock. If I go that route I will have around 900 to 1000 into it if I don’t change to a Timney trigger.

Rem700 has a world of aftermarket parts available for it. I love Howa rifles, I just put a mini action together for my kid in a Boyds and it's outstanding. But for a custom build, I would not start with a Howa barreled action and rip it down when 700 receivers can be had for under 400 dollars.

Just food for thought.

I had my gunsmith glass bed a Boyds Prairie Hunter stock for the mini action we just put together. He mentioned there was some minor fitting needed. It turned out great.

Good luck.

If you keep your eye out, complete Remington ADL rifles can be had at Wal-Mart for under 300 dollars. mtmuley

Addicting- The boys start out with a 357 Mag, but it wouldn't be hard or expensive to convert it to Max. Finding brass might be tougher. Their "big" gun is an American in 243.

I would look at a 450BM in an AR-15.

I did and I found a very nice one. I am just not an AR guy. After all of these years being responsible for 70 of them and having to clean them I can’t seem to go thru with buying one for personal use.

I should have clarified, my stocks are for the remington 700 and tikka t3. The Remingtons are pillar bedded, tikka is not. From what i have heard it is necessary to bed the ruger.

I am with mtmuley in that you can pick up a 700 pretty cheap if you keep an eye out.

I did and I found a very nice one. I am just not an AR guy. After all of these years being responsible for 70 of them and having to clean them I can’t seem to go thru with buying one for personal use.

I thought I was the only guy on the planet that didn't care for the AR platform. Just like my bolts, that's all. mtmuley

I thought I was the only guy on the planet that didn't care for the AR platform. Just like my bolts, that's all. mtmuley

Like Quigley said about 6-shooters, "I said I don't have much use for them, never said I didn't know how to use one." They don't do much for me either.

Build one, it's fun and it's something you can be specific about when you put it together. Cruise the used racks of your gun stock for a donor action. You can usually find decent prices on the used gun and if you're going to tear it apart anyway, then you don't need to worry about anything other than the integrity of the action.

With a 700 as they are a push feed will any SA receiver work for the build or will I still need to find a .308?

Like Quigley said about 6-shooters, "I said I don't have much use for them, never said I didn't know how to use one." They don't do much for me either.

Build one, it's fun and it's something you can be specific about when you put it together. Cruise the used racks of your gun stock for a donor action. You can usually find decent prices on the used gun and if you're going to tear it apart anyway, then you don't need to worry about anything other than the integrity of the action.
I've shot them. Friends of mine have them and love them. Not for me. mtmuley

With a 700 as they are a push feed will any SA receiver work for the build or will I still need to find a .308?

Receivers are all the same but there are different bolt face diameters. You want one for a .308 class cartridge (.473" bolt face). A short action 700 receiver with a 223 class (.384") would not work for a 450 bushmaster build.

I've shot them. Friends of mine have them and love them. Not for me. mtmuley

Built two of them from stripped receivers. Totally agree. Glad some like them, but meh.

A handy carbine bolt gun in 450 Bushmaster though - that could be fun!

What donor should I be looking for? A complete tactical SPS with light Varmint contour where I only need to rebarrel? Or a old beater in the used gun rack to just get the action off from? I’ve also seen 700 stainless steel receivers with my discount for 350ish.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back