Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Best buy on a rifle you had to pass up.

You win.

Ouch.

Ha! I remember I came on Hunttalk to ask if anyone had heard of the maker. A member by the name of Danr55 chastised me, and urged me to get back there straight away and buy it. That rifle balanced and pointed like a dream. It had been carried a lot. The bluing on the barrels had a bare spot about hand width from carrying it barrel first over the shoulder.

I'd of had no use for it, but would have gleefully sold it and used the money to hunt white sheep, which in those days could still be had for $5k.

Damit.

The only one that really sticks out to me is a 700 Mountain Rifle, I believe it was in 7mm-08. Beautiful wood stock with a Leupold VX3 on it. I want to say it was around $350-$400. Went to the shop after seeing it on their website and it had sold earlier in the day. I worked at a Gander Mtn store for a few years so I usually had first crack at some of the good used guns, I certainly got a few good deals but I'm sure there was some that I passed up. I recall at one time we had some beautiful JP Sauer rifles on clearance for a silly price but that was out of my price range at the time.

I've sold quite a few that I regret getting rid of though.

Missed a Remington Ti in .30-06 in our local classifieds by mere minutes. Great deal at 4 bills. mtmuley

Remington 700 Classic in 8mm Remington Mag brand new in the box. It was my old man's who never fired it and sold it to a guy at work before I could come up with the money. Also a Remington 673 Guide Gun pair in 6.5 Remington Mag and .350 Remington Mag. I was offering the guy to trade straight across for my Perazzi TMS. He wanted cash instead of another gun. That one made me sick.

A family friend of mine had a brother pass away. The brother who passed was an avid shooter and got all of their dads guns when he passed. Well, our friend had no interest in any of the firearms and made me a killer deal....
Remington 700 30-06 scoped(Remington branded)
Remington 700 .308 scoped(Remington branded) and iron sights
Remington 870 Wingmaster 12GA.
$700
I checked the serial numbers and both of the 700’s were built I want to say in the late 60’s and the Wingmaster was 70’s era.
Life ended up getting in the way and I was unable to get this lot before it was passed on to a cousin.

For me it was a Winchester model 21 SXS 12 ga. like new condition. The woman was selling her late husband's guns and just wanted them out of the house....the price...$75.00. This was in 1969 and I was married with a new baby. No dinero. Still bugs me.

Last year a local firearm store had a used left handed .300 mag weatherby Mark V for $1000. It had a beautiful monte carlo stock and I really wanted it. The clerk was willing to negotiate a price with me, but I knew I needed the money for fall tuition so I passed it up. It was a hard pill to swallow since I am left handed and a big fan a weatherby rifles.

Glad I'm not the only one that's done it.

I found a left hand Remington 700 SS in 338RUM that didn't appear to have been fired in a Gander Mountain used gun rack here in PA for $350. Still have no idea why I didn't buy it.

Savage Model 24, 22 over 410 for $100 - pretty sure it was hot.

Winchester lever action 375 Win in pristine condition for $300 at Cabela's in WV. I walked away and it bothered me enough to turnaround halfway home to go back and buy it but was already gone.

Wow. I've seen some good deals on rifles before, but never on a Gander Mt. used rack...

HK 940.... Isle walker at a gun show had it, I did not have the $600 to buy it on the spot and an ATM was longer to get to than it took to sell it.

Winchester 1885 6.5 creedmor (man bun, anti HT, MT banned, etc..............)
Turns out - as I would have seen if I had read the Winchester website carefully -the version pictured is a special run through Davidsons Gun something-or-other.
The version which will be forthcoming for general purchase doesn't have some of the features of this special run, which also costs about $600 more. Put me over my econ 101 margin.
So may not be the best deal I passed on, but I will pass nonetheless.
Consolation prize - keeping an accurate .25-06.

Davidsons has done some special runs over the years. They are usually something just a bit different than what is generally available as a 'stock' rifle and usually a pretty good price as well. I got my Ruger 77 boat paddle, blued barrel from them, some years back, and they were offering only 100 rifles per caliber. Some of the unique cartridges they had available were the 6.5X55 & 7X57. I anguished between the 7X57 and the 7mm/08 for a couple days. Finally went with the 7mm/08 because of my concern for brass availability in the future. I've been more than happy with it and no regrets.

Besides, where usle can you pick up a M77 for $399, with a lifetime replacement guarantee?

A marlin 42 pump shotgun with external hammer. I believe the price was $150 and by the time I knew what I was looking it, it was gone.

Several buddies and I were heading across SD on our way to WY, and decided to swing into the Mitchell, SD Cabelas. Sitting there in gun library was a Cooper Classic 52 in 25-06 with a Leupold VX-III 4.5-14x40 for $1800. It was by no means cheap, but there was over $3k in rifle sitting there, and I am still in shock that none of us were smart enough to buy it. Especially given the amount of peer pressure that was being applied in several directions.

Back in the late 70's my Dad became manager of a small town grain elevator. The past manager had a dealers license and sold a few guns. My Dad didn't want to be a dealer. He just wanted to get rid of the inventory. He had two Browning Sweet 16's and told me he would sell them to me for his invoice price, $150.00 each. I didn't do it! Boy was I sure dumb.

My buddies dad won the CVA Optima V2 at our QDMA Banquet. Would let me have his "old" CVA Optima V2 (it had one season on it) with a scope, kit, powder, bullets and everything for $175. I was a broke college kid.

Got a buddy who is a dealer. He ran across a estate sale with a Savage 220 Slug Gun and a Nikon Slug Gun scope (?) out the door for $200. Just had my first child.....

And the worse. A buddy had a Hoyt Nitrium Turbo with a Fast Eddie XL 3 pin slider, QAD HDX drop away, Tight Spot Quiver, Carter Chocolate 2 release, 12 Easton Axis, with 6 Rage Chisel Tip and 6 Muzzy Trocar all with a case. $450....

Several buddies and I were heading across SD on our way to WY, and decided to swing into the Mitchell, SD Cabelas. Sitting there in gun library was a Cooper Classic 52 in 25-06 with a Leupold VX-III 4.5-14x40 for $1800. It was by no means cheap, but there was over $3k in rifle sitting there, and I am still in shock that none of us were smart enough to buy it. Especially given the amount of peer pressure that was being applied in several directions.

The Scheel's deal that Stubaby tee'd up on 52's a few weeks back almost created a 'regret' story..but, alas, it did not.

There was a Kimber Hunter in 7mm-08 at a local store fir $575. I'm not a Kimber man, but I might coulda been had I bit on it. Somebody swiped it up.

Mine was the West Point class pistol. It would have been a special piece but I already had a 1911 and didn't want to spend $1200 dollars on one. I did see one for a different class at a Cabela's a few years back and thought that person was a moron.
Other than that was a Ruger No.1 in 458 Win for $850. I wasn't really looking for the .458 but the price tag was there and I could always load down. By the time I scraped up the money it was gone.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back