Best buy on a rifle you had to pass up.

I blinked and screwed up on a Gander Mtn clearance rifle. They had their Remington Mountain Guide rifles reduced a couple hundred dollars. I was in the market for a new predator rifle,and snagged one in 243. It was also Fathers Day with a corresponding percentage off your entire purchase. There were 2 in 308 as well,and I walked away from them. Like an idiot. Those little rigs may be the ultimate PA deer rifle. I left 2 308s on the rack. Stainless m700 mountain in the B+C ti stock,for less out the door than the SPS. What a fool.

Not a rifle but...a smith .357 K frame 6" for 180 bucks....

Last edited:
I worked at a gun store in Springfield MO in the mid-80's going to college there. A regular walks in with a Remington M722 in 257 Roberts and wants to sell it to me for $200.00. It had a Weaver K4 on it and the guy had dies for it. Unfortunately I didn't have $200 at the time.....broke college kid.

Then there was the Ruger No. 1-A chambered in 7x57. My brother-in-law had one chambered in 270 topped with a Leupold Vari-X 3 1.5x5......what a sweet-looking combination. Anyway, since I was in college I've wanted the exact combo only chambered in 7x57. So about 4 years ago I walk into Boise Gun Co. and sitting there is a No. 1 chambered in 7x57 for $1000.00.

Did I buy it? If I would have, I wouldn't be telling you about it now would I?!

So I decided to sleep on it.....for two nights. On the third morning I go to the bank, pull out 10 crisp hundies and go to the gun store.....walk in and walk right to the place on the rack where they keep the No. 1's.....EMPTY SLOT!!!! I say "where is that 1-A in 7x57?". They say "it walked outta here about 15 minutes ago and its on its way to Glens Ferry". I 'bout fainted. Talk about heartbroken.

Ruger #1 .300 Win mag. Stainless with grey wood laminated stock. Came with the matching stainless rings. Don't remember the price but it was fair and I could have swung it. Not really rare but I wish it was in the safe!

Ones I bought: Winchester Featherweight 101, well used, Nickel classified paper, $700. Marlin 57m rifle, gun show, $175. Interarms Mark X mauser, 7 rem mag, bare wood stock, pawn shop, $200. New Browning Hi Power, retail store closing, $299. New Stevens 200, 270 win, online, $200. Several others got away.

I worked at a gun store in Springfield MO in the mid-80's going to college there. A regular walks in with a Remington M722 in 257 Roberts and wants to sell it to me for $200.00. It had a Weaver K4 on it and the guy had dies for it. Unfortunately I didn't have $200 at the time.....broke college kid.

Then there was the Ruger No. 1-A chambered in 7x57. My brother-in-law had one chambered in 270 topped with a Leupold Vari-X 3 1.5x5......what a sweet-looking combination. Anyway, since I was in college I've wanted the exact combo only chambered in 7x57. So about 4 years ago I walk into Boise Gun Co. and sitting there is a No. 1 chambered in 7x57 for $1000.00.

Did I buy it? If I would have, I wouldn't be telling you about it now would I?!

So I decided to sleep on it.....for two nights. On the third morning I go to the bank, pull out 10 crisp hundies and go to the gun store.....walk in and walk right to the place on the rack where they keep the No. 1's.....EMPTY SLOT!!!! I say "where is that 1-A in 7x57?". They say "it walked outta here about 15 minutes ago and its on its way to Glens Ferry". I 'bout fainted. Talk about heartbroken.

Yeah, I’d still be pining for that #1.

Me too.

Just passed up a lovely little Mauser in 6.5x55. Decent model B stock, good stipling & engraving and within $50 of what I'd pay, but I hesitated and it's gone.

I was shopping at the local Gander Mountain when a young lady walks in carrying an arm load of rifles in cases then she went out and brought in a bunch of handguns. Seems her father had passed and she wanted to get rid of the guns. All these guns (Remington, Rugers, Colts, Browning, Smith and Wesson and Weatherby in excellent shape and clean with Leupold glass. I don't think those guns ever saw the outdoors. I watched that employee screw that girl over good on prices (16 guns for less than $1000. That thief went in back so I went to this young lady and offered her double what the Goose offered. She turned me down because she wanted them gone and the Goose was honest!

Several buddies and I were heading across SD on our way to WY, and decided to swing into the Mitchell, SD Cabelas. Sitting there in gun library was a Cooper Classic 52 in 25-06 with a Leupold VX-III 4.5-14x40 for $1800. It was by no means cheap, but there was over $3k in rifle sitting there, and I am still in shock that none of us were smart enough to buy it. Especially given the amount of peer pressure that was being applied in several directions.

Funny, I only recall the peer pressure being applied one way! I still think about that dang rifle!

WASR-10 with the most beautiful stock I’ve ever seen on an AK type rifle that the shop was willing to let go for $325 at the time. Thought about it too long and returned after the election and the threat of a potential ban saw that same rifles priced raised to $1150 which at that point was not remotely attractive seeing that I knew the previous price... and it was a WASR-10.

Went into my favorite shop and the owner was listing some of his rifles online (taking pictures etc..) I spot an M1 and ask if I can hold it, he says sure its a four digit Springfield Armory, we chat for a minute he says I'd sell it for a thousand right now just for you. I said I wish but can't put a "Grand for a Garand" right now. I came back the next day with 650 for a deposit and he told me it's well passed 1k on gun broker.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back