Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

QAD Hunter Issues

Wisco

I have a Hoyt Charger shooting 60 lbs and had a hell of a time this fall getting fixed blade BH's to shoot consistently. My FPs shoot groups just fine out to 50 yards but my BHs couldnt group at 30 yards. I ended up getting expandables to at least get me through the season. The bow has been paper-tuned, but that's all.

My local archery shop (which I don't like at all. Arrogant A-Holes and are always trying to sell you something) told me it's my QAD Hunter. I have fletching marks from contact with the rest and they said that specific rest bounces at the bottom, likely throwing my arrow off. Do you guys agree? Is it time to step up to a better rest? Or is there something I can do to fix my issues with the QAD Hunter?

Any recommendations on rests would be appreciated as well (so far it seems like the Hamskea and QAD HDX are the way to go).

Thanks!

Make sure your broadhead isn't touching the riser on draw. I was having inconsistencies as well and noticed a small slice in the riser, like someone took a sharp knife and made a notch. Turned out to be fixed blade broadhead making the mark. And it wasn't happening on every arrow, just the ones where the broadhead blade was exactly perpendicular to the riser. If the broadhead blade was say at 2 o'clock there was enough clearance.

Have you tried any different broad heads. I use Slick Tricks and they fly and group as good as field points. Not that I'm sticking up for the archery shop but there is a video of that arrow rest bouncing up and hitting the fletch. But it would be doing that with your field points also.

I have fletching marks on my QAD hunter and my broadheads group fine. Doesn't hurt to try a different rest if you don't mind spending the coin and the time to tune the bow. Ripcord rests come well recommended. You could just try a different QAD rest. Generally speaking QAD rests are considered pretty decent if not great. One thing I did notice is that my current arrow setup has never marked my rest. I'm using Q2I Fusion x vanes in 3" length at 2 degree helical. Maybe the fletching slows the arrow down just enough to clear the rest. When I was using factory fletched Gold Tip Hunter XT arrows I would get fletching marks on the rest. Might be that the Q2I vanes don't mark the same as the factory vanes. Too many variables to account for but the point is you could just try some different arrows and/or fletchings and see what happens. Kind of like changing ammo in your rifle to see which shoots the best. Anyway, might be cheaper than changing rests.

I don't see it being your rest. Have you tuned your broadheads? What is your FP group at 30 yds and your BH group at 30 yds? How much is it opening up.

My experience would tell me it is your bow not liking those BH. What are you shooting and have you tried others?

I doubt it is your rest, Maybe how your rest is tuned though. You certainly shouldn't have fletching marks on your rest. That means either it is your rest or how your rest is tuned. My bet is on the latter.

you can also bare shaft tune your arrows and if you do that you shouldn't have any issues with broadheads at all. checkout youtube on bare shaft tuning.

1) BHs have clearance.

2) Used the G5 Montec's which i think are pretty well regarded as good fixed blades. I tried out some old Muzzy BHs of mine before the Hypodermics and still had issues with that. Even the Hypodermics aren't perfect. So the BHs could be part of the issue, but I think there's more to it. The shop told me the FPs probably cover up the rest issues since they're pretty forgiving.

3) I'm on my 3rd arrow setup and all have markings. All factory fletched.

I tried tuning the broadheads via walk-back and by adjusting my rest. (Not sure if there are other ways). I kept getting inconsistent groups though. Some to the left, some to the right, some high, some low. I would expect at least moderately consistent groups. At 30 yds, my FP groups are size of a fist and my BH's are bigger than a pie plate.

I just read about bare shaft tuning, I'll look more into that.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

One thing I don't think anyone has asked has bow and arrow set up worked in the past or is this something that just started.

I'm not going to lie, I never tested my BHs like I should have in the past. I shot FPs out to 30 yds and would fire one or two BH at 20 yds and go hunting. I shot all my deer within 20 yards so I honestly have no clue if this was always an issue.

Prepping for my first elk hunt this year I extended my range and that's when i noticed all my problems. (As you can imagine, I never got an elk within 20 yds... lol)

Oh, another thing I'll add is my arrows don't always come in straight. They usually have a slight angle to them on impact. And I've noticed some goofy looking flight at times.

I bought a different bow last year and was having some minor accuracy issues and it turned out my fletching was contacting the rest. The string from the rest to the bow string was too short and not allowing the rest to drop away fast enough. I noticed the felt on my rest had little colored flecks/dust from the vanes. You could have a combination of issues and if the broadheads don't line up with the vanes the same on every arrow then maybe on one arrow you're hitting the riser and on another arrow the vanes are hitting the rest. I should add that I shoot Gold Tip arrows also.

Last edited:
My bow shop flat out refuses to sell the QAD hunter model. The owner said they had too many issues tuning the rest. If I understand it correctly, that model doesn't stay down when it drops, so it can bounce back and make contact with the arrow. This would often lead to customers bringing the bow back and complaining that it was improperly installed or set up, when it's the result of the design of a more "affordable" rest.

I know you aren't a fan of your bow shop but could you maybe try a new rest before you buy? if you were shooting bullet holes on paper with a new rest it might be worth buying a new one and trashing the old one. QAD ultra rest HDX are great, the Vapor trail limb driver is another really good one

Shot my bow today to verify, there's a slight wobble with FPs but not very noticeable. Not perfectly straight on impact though meaning it's probably not tuned to my form? If at all?

I'm going to try to paper and bare-shaft tune and if those don't work, I'm going to look into a new rest. And if I get to that point, I'm going to a new shop to buy it and hopefully test it haha.

I have QAD hdx ultra on both my Mathews Chill R and my new Halon 32...no issues. Also, spouse has QAD hdx ultra on her Mathews SDX.... no problems. Maybe try an upgraded QAD rest or Ripcord or other. Best to you Wisco

Are the cams timed and is the arrow spined correctly? Cause that might be why the arrow is wobbly. Try addressing that first and if it still isn't fixing it then maybe consider getting a new rest. The QAD hunter does have bounce back to it which can throw off the arrow flight but you usually won't see that unless you're shooting a speed bow. The QAD LD doesn't have bounce back and isn't as expensive as the QAD HDX. Another option might be a whisker biscuit, I know they get a lot of hate cause of that fuzzy thing but they do work.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back