Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Where to apply for an aussie

Cashris

I have a few hunts that i would like to do before im to old ( im only 30 at the moment) but due to the expense of traveling over seas i may only get to do it every few years.

Im having a hard time working out what states to apply for tags in, i would like to start applying for 2018 so i can start building up some points.

Id like to hunt wyoming for pronghorn as this seems like a super fun hunt.

Id like to take a nice elk, dosnt have to be the worlds biggest but a nice elk.

Same again goes for mule deer, moose, caribou.

I also have this need to watch the northern lights wilst on a hunt at some point in my life.

Im playing the long game here, just asking to be pointed in the right direction if possible.

I currently only rifle hunt too.
Thanks!!

For caribou, and moose for the most part, most Americans have to head north to Alaska or Canada. I do know that Alaska treats non-resident aliens differently that non-resident citizens, so Canada might make more sense for you on those species.

For pronghorn, Wyoming is a no-brainer.

For elk and deer, there would be several different states such as CO, ID, MT, WY, among others.. Wyoming is nice because you can simply buy the points each year, no application necessary until you're ready to try and draw a tag. CO and ID also have OTC tags, and MT is still a pretty easy draw for a general tag.

Big picture items must include completing a recognized hunters safety course. Each state has its own course, with reciprocity expected amongst the states, but there may be some exceptions. For example, at one point, those born before a certain date in Kansas were grandfathered in and didnt need to pass the course to hunt.

Another item is drivers licenses. When I have traveled overseas, I get a AAA (American Automobile Assoc) license endorsement that then gets me "legal" driving status in most nations.

If you are ready to hunt next year apply in New Mexico. Its cheap if you don't draw and if you do they have some great hunts.

Building points: CO, WY

Well you can do most of those in Idaho without having too buy preference points, and you can come every year..... if you get some tags that you can't go on just turn them in and get your money back and go on the better of the tags or just go over the counter for Deer and Elk and concentrate on drawing a Moose/Goat/Bighorn sheep tag.
Matt

Thanks guys for the advice, theres a fair bit of info here that i didnt realise.

I think i will buy a few points in Wyoming for a start.
Im going on a guided black bear hunt in idaho next year, am i still able to apply for moose goat and sheep?

My Australian hunting license should be good enough to use as evidence so i can get my Idaho license so ive been told.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back