Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Handgun for Lions

Gerald, I do agree and all of the bears and cats we previously shot with dogs were with hunting rifles. Sometimes a 500lb bear changes the plans though and takes 10 shots to die so there are still instances where chit happens even with multiple large guns.

On another note, I can't distinguish what you talked about from bow hunting for elk. How many elk have been hit and not recovered or just plain wounded due to poor archery shots? I would say far more than lions with handguns, at least from my anecdotes every year. I always talk to multiple people I know in person that hits an elk but doesn't recover and read about plenty of them on here as well. The dogs don't change the dynamic about the need to use a bigger gun, the animal you are intent on killing dictates that and a bow is not the most efficient method of dispatch possible for an elk, regardless of whether in its natural state or not.

I am not against bowhunting for elk, but all animals deserve to be harvested efficiently so we kind of come back to the age old question and original post "what is a minimum---- for hunting----?"

To be honest, I wouldn't think too highly of a houndsman who would turn loose their dog on a wounded cat or leave them unleashed at the shot. I knew every time I unleashed my dogs on a track they might not return home alive, it was my job to make sure it wasn't some boneheaded move on my part that caused it.

I hunt by myself a lot. I have killed four over the years. Because I hunt alone and because lions can change their mind in an instant, I prefer not to leash my dogs most of the time. I also make quick work of what I need to do. I get to the tree, take a few pictures, then let it go or shoot it.

I don't jump the cat for the fun of it.

The one I killed in January had a clean, lethal shot. It was still alive for about two minutes after I killed it. (Not sure how). My dogs were on it immediately and I was able to concentrate on the situation rather than trying to mess with my dog's leashes. I have always felt a little nervous about having my back to a lion, wounded or not, or having my hands occupied with something such as trying to leash a dog.

Many may not agree with that, however, I have felt it is the safest for me should something go wrong.

Last edited:
GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back