Caribou Gear Tarp

Archery Questions

I am a total noob in archery and I am practicing and learning for next season to nail an elk. I am a teen and I just passed my main growth spurt and I am still growing but slowly. I am afraid that by next season I will have to make the draw length longer and possibly increase the draw weight. Will I have to re site my bow. Also any tips for low poundage broad heads? Also I want my arrows to be longer a bit so that I wont have to get new arrows when I make my draw length longer. Thanks and sorry for so much questions, like I said I am a noob in archery.:)

Yes, you will need to re sight in your rig whenever you change your draw length/weight. For broadheads on a light poundage rig I would recommend something A) with fixed blades and 2) has a cut on contact tip, something like a G5 Montec or Striker. I really like the Magnus Stingers too.

What are your current specs?

You may have no idea the can of worms you can open up by asking for BH recommendations. There are a lot of different theories on their designs and opinions about them. The absolute most important thing you can do is just know your equipment and practice a lot at different distances, and under different conditions you may encounter.

But lets start simple - get some help with your bow tuning. In the beginning, do a lot of repetitive shooting at about 20yds; this is to really work on getting the fundamentals down, then start backing up. Don't worry too much about broadheads, you got time. That said, I've always favored the old 4 blade, one inch diameter Muzzy. You might get all manner of recommendations between now and next September, tho.

Good luck, bro. Just go shoot. Archery hunting is very challenging, but September is the best time to be in the mountains. Welcome to the best sport ever conceived.

Thanks! My current setup is a PSE Bowmadness 48 pound draw and my draw length is 27.6 inches. Currently I shoot Gold Tip Hunter 400 arrows.

The best advice I can give a rookie jsut getting into the sport is find a guy who will walk along side you as you learn. Go to shoots, archery shops, etc. There are guys who will help you learn. It will save you serious money and time in the future by guiding you away from what you don't need.

I doubt your draw length will change much, prob less than 2", so get one that will have that clearance.

As for brand preference we all have our own, so go with what your new mentor tells you.

Do your research on bows and arrows. Some are adjustable some Like Matthews require new cams to make the draw longer.
If you can have your bow tuned or learn to tune it I recommend fixed blade cut on contact broad-heads for lighter poundage. There are piles of good info on YouTube about tuning your bow and arrows.
Heavy arrows penetrate better than light as a rule of thumb, however they move slower. Everything is a trade off but I will take penetration over speed especially for a big animal like elk.
As a rule of thumb if you change anything you need to verify your sights and adjust if needed. Often after you get your Left/Right set it needs little adjustment if ever. Only real change that happens for most mods will be your drop (up/down) adjustment.
Good on you for using these resources for information I learnt by making all the mistakes possible and im probably not done making them yet.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back