Not your momma's deer meat

JEL

I have been changing my ways regarding the cooking of venison and wild game the last several years. No more crockpot and cream or mushroom soup for me. This mule deer sirloin roast was rubbed with a mixture of salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder then wrapped in plastic and left in the fridge for several hours. I then seared all sides in a hot skillet and finished in the oven until the temp was 145. Let it rest for 15-20 and eat up. This was honestly one of the best pieces of meat I have ever eaten. Was much like prime rib. deer roast.jpg

We just made a similar switch and it has a made a BIG difference. I can't believe that for years we have been abusing venison to such a degree.

Another thing to try is before cooking to let rest at room temp for an hour or so then season. Your cooking time will be quite a bit shorter and you can get a nice "crust" on the outside.

Last edited:
Another thing to try is before cooking to let rest at room temp for an hour or so then season. Your cooking time will be quite a bit shorter and you can get a nice "crust" on the outside.

yes, this was a step I would normally include but ran short on time.

Slow cooking is for shanks and shoulders... medium rare is the way the rest should be cooked.

I smoked one of these on the Traeger for five hours, pulled it at 140 and let it rest under foil/wrapped in a towel for a couple of hours. Dynamite.

I smoked one of these on the Traeger for five hours, pulled it at 140 and let it rest under foil/wrapped in a towel for a couple of hours. Dynamite.
I did a similar thing with an elk roast this weekend in the Egg. I let it go a bit too long as I don't have a meat thermometer right now. Even at that it was good and good enough my wife even ate it. Makes me rethink how I'll be cooking roasts from here on out.

As a side note, I was in a bit of a hurry and actually put the roast on the smoker while still frozen. Still turned out tasty.

I gave this recipe a try with a slight substitute for the seasoning. I used McCormicks hamburger seasoning along with some black pepper. Turned out amazing.IMG_20180224_194540212.jpg

Reactions: JEL
I need to try a roast on my new electric smoker. Before I got this thing once in a while I would do a roast in a plain old black Weber charcoal BBQ. I would wipe a nice roasting pan with oil and the put just a bit of water in. I would season the deer, elk, or antelope roast and put in the pan. I would add carrots, onions, potatoes, and often mushrooms. I would then put the lid on the roasting pan with it slightly off center so that the smoke would come up into the pan around the meat as it was cooking. I would put apple chips or some other type on the briquettes after they had been soaked in water for a while so they would smoke more and not burn up so quickly.

I'd watch it closely and when it was medium rare I would remove it from the BBQ. Man those turned out nice!

By the way your dinner looks amazing! Cooked to perfection I would say.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back