Help me Pick a Cartridge

Of the ones you listed, the 6.5-06 or the 6.5x284, but if you want another suggestion, I would go with a .257 Roberts. It's an awesome cartridge that doesn't get the attention it deserves.

I have a .257 Roberts Ackley Improved and its a FANTASTIC round. Thats the only reason for the departure from 25-06

after I posted I saw you already had a .257 AI, so I would go with the 6.5-06, just because you don't see them very often.

The 280 AI is a great cartridge and very similar to the 7mm mag. in performance.
I love the 264 win. mag. and the 6.5x 284. The recoil is a little more mild as magnums go.

It'll be a rebarrel on a Ruger M77 tang safety circa mid 70's vintage I believe. I've read several places were people dog the M77 action but its well built from what I see and was VERY accurate.
In that case I'd suggest the 6.5-06 or the Improved version of the same. Some of the bullets that'd interest me in a 280AI might be a tight squeeze in that action. Are you planning on restocking it and if so with what?

it'll be complete makeover. New stock (walnut), polish and rust blue. Shell be like new! :)

How many rounds that 25-06 have down the tube?

I love the 257 AI it’s def got yer quarter bore covered.

As for your question have you thought about a 6.5-280 AI?

I have a 6.5-06 and like it but not a ton over the Swede which has that excellent Lapua brass available.

338-06 is awesome...

6.5 Gibbs or 6.5PRC would be a nice fit in that action. 6.5 Gibbs formed from 270 Win. brass which is easily found or I believe there might even be a manufacturer now producing some. I was also part of two 6.5 Rem mags built on long actions to maximize case capacity that performed extremely well. All three of those cartridges with the right bullet will perform well on game including elk, and are easy on the shoulder.

6.5x284 is pretty nice. I had a 6mmx284 bench rifle for a few years and really liked the cartridge. Would a 6.5x55 be an option?

I'd go bigger, like a 338-06 or 35 Whelen. How many mid bores does a guy need? :D
I would seriously consider the 338-06. You would have all your bases covered. If you just have to have one from your list then the .280 AI would get my nod.

My vote goes to sticking with the 25.06. Great caliber and with 115gr TSX they are bad medicine for deer, antelope, and the occasional elk. Oh and stainless might be a good option if you will be hunting out west with it a bunch.

I have been hunting out west most of my life, I'm 71. Never felt the need for a stainless firearm. I'm afraid that someday the only firearm I could get is a stainless one in a plastic stock with a 6-24x scope!

Man that's a tough one. I'd go these in this order.

280 AI - I had one built and love it.
338-06 - That's one sweet cartridge that would hunt the bigger stuff maybe just a touch better than the 30-06. Did I just say that?
6mm-06 - You need a fabulous coyote, deer, antelope cartridge and this one is a screamer! What can I say I love the 6mm Remington and other 6mm's as well.
6.5-06 - Last on the list because it's so close to your 257 AI.

Pick a couple of bullets that tickle your fancy and go from there. All a given cartridge does is get the bullet you like, to a velocity you like.

I have shot a bunch of different calibers but my go to is the 6.5x .284. Super accurate, can you say “bang, flop”.

I think I've settled on the 280 Ackley but the 6.5x284 is still in the back of my head. I haven't ordered the barrel yet but should be doing that soon.... so maybe I'll order both barrels and build 2 rifles!

I plan to also start a "rifle overhaul" thread when I start in on the project.

I think I've settled on the 280 Ackley but the 6.5x284 is still in the back of my head. I haven't ordered the barrel yet but should be doing that soon.... so maybe I'll order both barrels and build 2 rifles!

I plan to also start a "rifle overhaul" thread when I start in on the project.

Would love to follow it! Best of luck.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back