Help me Pick a Cartridge

Four22

So it appears the barrel on my 25-06 has seen better days. Its gone from shooting ½” groups to shooting 3” groups. I need to have it boroscoped to verify my suspensions of the throat being eroded…

Thant being said, what caliber of rebarrel should I do? I inherited my grandfathers .257 Ackley and I have a 30-06 so I’m thinking of going away from .25-06. I am an avid hand loader so factory availability isn't a concern

My potential cartridges:
6.5-06
280 Ackley
6.5-284

The only reason that 7mm-08 isnt on that list is I have plans to buy one of the Howa barreled actions and build up a rifle in the future. 6.5 creedmoor is out because of the long action...

So anyones thoughts are appreciated. Pro, cons, experiences…..

Thanks guys!

I've got a 6.5x06, only wildcat I have ever owned. Two elk and several deer with as many shots. 129gr and 140gr bullet's shoot really well and recoil not bad at all. Bit heavy though but have still carried it hunting a good number of time's. Today, Now and then I take it out to shoot target's long range. 4 1/2-14x Nikon and 140gr SMK's give well under min of angle at 500yds! I also like the 280 Rem but never had an Ackley and no desire to have one either.

Last edited:
I'd never steer you away from a .284 anything, but the 6.5x284 has always interested me and since you have a long action I'd take a hard look at it. You can really maximize the OAL with some of the heavier (longer) 6.5s.

.280 AI is VERY interesting for sure. The 6.5-06 is only .007" larger than a .257 Ackey I already have... Then again .280 Ackley isn't that much smaller than a 30 caliber.

Last edited:
My vote goes to sticking with the 25.06. Great caliber and with 115gr TSX they are bad medicine for deer, antelope, and the occasional elk. Oh and stainless might be a good option if you will be hunting out west with it a bunch.

I’d go the 6.5 Man Bun on steroids, a la JRs advice.

.280 AI is VERY interesting for sure. The 6.5-06 is only .007" larger than a .257 Ackey I already have... Then again .280 Ackley isn't that much smaller than a 30 caliber.
It might only be a RCH larger in diameter but has a whole lot more interesting bullet options IMO. Plant me in the 6.5 camp, either the -06 or X284 version. My final recommendation would depend on the action you have.

It'll be a rebarrel on a Ruger M77 tang safety circa mid 70's vintage I believe. I've read several places were people dog the M77 action but its well built from what I see and was VERY accurate.

It'll be a rebarrel on a Ruger M77 tang safety circa mid 70's vintage I believe. I've read several places were people dog the M77 action but its well built from what I see and was VERY accurate.

I just had a same vintage Ruger rebarreled to 7x57AI.

Early load development has a 140 grain TTSX shooting about .323" at 100 just under 3050 FPS. So long as the barrel is true, you should be good to go.

sounds like no matter what I pick i need to do a rebuild thread and cover the build :)

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back