Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

beautiful squirrels

archer wapiti

I'd eaten a couple of these guys over the years I picked up as roadkill, but yesterday I took it upon myself to go explore a new mountain and get some food in the process.
Here's the result.

IMG_20171126_123447395.jpg

They're Abert's Squirrels. Tassel-eared squirrel is another name. The most common large tree squirrel here in NM. Red squirrels are as common, but are a higher elevation replacement (generally speaking).

Thanks. While in Germany i would always see red squirrels with big ear tufts like that also. Cool lookin critters.

Squirrel hunting is always a good time. Never seen a squirrel like that tho, those are nice looking critters.

VERY COOL!! Thanks for sharing! I have a list of the species for the "squirrel slam" and am hoping to starting whittling away at it sometime in the future.

Glad to share. Some populations in New Mexico have completely black bellies as well. I think some also lack the black sides altogether. Neat animals.

1_pointer, how many species on that list?

Glad to share. Some populations in New Mexico have completely black bellies as well. I think some also lack the black sides altogether. Neat animals.

1_pointer, how many species on that list?
The list I have came from a F&S article about a guy who completed it and has 8 species on it.

Good sized and unique characteristics. Ours look like mangy tailed mice..destructive mice.

I show this to my son and he's gonna be begging me to take him to New Mexico. He's obsessed with squirrel hunting

Nice! I've been telling the gf that I need to get up into the hills after some Abert's, have you ever gone after the Kaibab color phase/subspecies (I ain't sure which it is)?

Those are cool looking squirrels. I like the idea of a squirrel slam! I've eaten lots of eastern greys, fox squirrels and western red squirrels in my time. Delicious.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back