Leupold VX2 Opinions

I have one on my .308. Overall Solid scope but lacking a bit in low light situations. Not surprising or bothersome given price pt. Bought a vx3i here on hunttalk. Will be using that on the .308 and saving the Vx2 for a muzzleloader or a rifle for my daughter.

No maker is infallible but the ratio of positive replies on this post alone is about what i'd expect. I've a feeling that Lupe could sell a hella many more 2's if they made them in the same powers as the 3's...but i know exactly why they don't do that.

VX3 is significantly brighter in low light conditions than VX2.

Not unusable by any means, but VX3 has more going for it than a wider variety of power ranges.

Well I just picked up the VX2. Thanks everyone for the responses. I ended up getting it from Academy since they price match + take an additional 5% off. Ended up getting it for $190. I know this will be a major improvement over what my son is using now.

I can't see that scope not working and working just fine. But, how old is your son? Reason I ask is that I have two young boys that I take hunting and shooting. I'm very fond of fixed power scopes for kids. Less for them to fiddle/monkey with. Just something to consider, but a fixed 6X works very well for us. Leupold versions are a bit higher than the one you asked about. Weaver makes a very serviceable one that is under that amount and what I went with for my kids 243.

I can't see that scope not working and working just fine. But, how old is your son? Reason I ask is that I have two young boys that I take hunting and shooting. I'm very fond of fixed power scopes for kids. Less for them to fiddle/monkey with. Just something to consider, but a fixed 6X works very well for us. Leupold versions are a bit higher than the one you asked about. Weaver makes a very serviceable one that is under that amount and what I went with for my kids 243.

My son is 6. Hes been going hunting with me for a few years now just tagging along and has practiced shooting his Rossi single shot 243 a lot this year so I let him sit in the drivers seat so to speak this season when he goes. The scope he has now is also a 3-9 but I typically just leave it set at 5x and he doesnt mess with it while hunting. Most shots are in the 30 - 100yrd range so thats been a good sweet spot. I know I could have gotten cheaper scopes but I really wanted something that he could grow with and even move to larger rifles when the time comes. Also with him being young, I wanted something with a good warranty in case he bangs it on something or drops it out of the treestand.

Also it really bugged me to look through his bushnell scope because it is such poor quality. I'm not bashing bushnell so much as just this particular scope is poor. I have no clue what model this scope is as the gun was passed down from my mom where it was used by my younger brother 15 years ago; however, I'm sure it was just a cheap walmart special.

Regardless, the Leupold VX-2 looked clear and crisp in store so looking forward to trying it out in the field with him soon.

My son is 6. Hes been going hunting with me for a few years now just tagging along and has practiced shooting his Rossi single shot 243 a lot this year so I let him sit in the drivers seat so to speak this season when he goes. The scope he has now is also a 3-9 but I typically just leave it set at 5x and he doesnt mess with it while hunting. Most shots are in the 30 - 100yrd range so thats been a good sweet spot. I know I could have gotten cheaper scopes but I really wanted something that he could grow with and even move to larger rifles when the time comes. Also with him being young, I wanted something with a good warranty in case he bangs it on something or drops it out of the treestand.

Also it really bugged me to look through his bushnell scope because it is such poor quality. I'm not bashing bushnell so much as just this particular scope is poor. I have no clue what model this scope is as the gun was passed down from my mom where it was used by my younger brother 15 years ago; however, I'm sure it was just a cheap walmart special.

Regardless, the Leupold VX-2 looked clear and crisp in store so looking forward to trying it out in the field with him soon.
That scope will work just fine. My youngest (7yo) prefers to shoot the 357 single shot rifle as he likes the red dot scope better and finds it much easier to use. That said, he did use the 243 with the 6X Weaver to take a doe that was outside of my comfort range for the 357/red dot combo two weekends ago. Good luck to the young hunter!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back