Out of State Whitetails

go2delk

I'm looking to do a out of state archery whitetail hunt next season. I live in Montana. This will all be DIY public land. What is out there for good states to throw about 5 days at on a whim to try and knock out a whitetail? I was thinking ND, MN, NE, SD, or even WY. I am considering everything from public land access, to states law, prices of tags, the works. This will be my first time traveling on a DIY out of state hunt and just looking to see what everyone else has experienced and recommends. Tha KS in advance!

Haven't ever hunted in northern MN, so I can't say much about that. The amount of public land in southeastern MN is pretty limited, especially compared to western states. With that said, there are some monster bucks on the public land there.

What time of year are you looking at ? States have vastly different seasons.

Last edited:
I'm looking to do a out of state archery whitetail hunt next season..........

....... Tha KS in advance!

Perhaps you should follow your own typo!! Montana to Kansas is one very long drive, but their are some big boys taken in archery every year.

I believe ND tags are tough to come by for NR. Minnesota has plenty to offer as far as whitetails on public land. Most of the northern half of the state is public. They are sparse in the woods but get big. Lots of option here though but you’d be driving by a lot of good hunting to get here. If you zone in on MN and need some info/starting points feel free to message me.

Seems funny to drive through eastern montana to go hunt whitetails somewhere else. But I understand getting away from home. I'd take a hard look at western nebraska, western SD, or the black hills in wyoming. If you want to go farther east there's alway states like Georgia where a hog deer combo is very doable on public land with a bow. Heck, deer hogs and fishing for that matter. Good luck.

I eventually need to do an out-of-state whitetail hunt. I've killed a couple bucks in Wyoming, but only because I couldn't find a decent muley.

To me, the appeal of a whitetail trip would be to experience a certain place or style of hunting, rather than necessarily a big buck. I'm more likely to find a wall-hanger here at home in Indiana, but places like the B.W.C.A. Wilderness, the Adirondacks, and Maine's northwoods all appeal to me from an adventure perspective.

I agree your best shot at a trophy is going to be where you are familiar but the north woods of MN produce more then just beautiful scenery.7677CEF3-9614-442B-9A19-33BEEE250B2D.jpeg52812AAA-107A-46CE-9335-15A57C2EB792.jpgHere is the biggest one I’ve been involved with. Friend of mine took him out of the Superior National Forrest near the BWCA.

I've been researching Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri and Idaho myself. Kansas is my first choice due to it being only a couple hours drive, but is also the most expensive.

Leaning towards ID & MO because of the HUGE discounts they give disabled veterans. ID is $70 and MO under $20

Hunted Kansas several times on a DIY public land hunt, past two trips I've sealed it with archery on two decent bucks. I really enjoy Kansas but it is pricey but close proximity and really good hunting along with some fishing is why I go there. Will be going back soon, although I haven't tagged one of those Kansas giants yet, I do have trial cam photos of a few great bucks even on public and it keeps me going back. I have been pondering the idea of Missouri, exact reasons jlmatthew stated, tag availability and price is the driving factor along with the fishing as a bonus. Check out the small game prices too, where I hunt in Kansas, it's loaded with those giant fox squirrels that make you think a deer is coming in when they're on the ground. I loose several arrows on every trip down there because of those damn things, but they're tasty! ND has a lot of good hunting & fishing in the same trip, PLOTS are the thing to research.

Maybee consider Ontario, CA?
OTC NR deer tags are cheap, even cheaper with the exchange rate. The deer up there easy 30-50% larger than I've seen in midwestern states. Friendly people and almost -zero- archery pressure. Public land all the way to the arctic circle!

I wouldn't rule out WI.

Anyone that is a die hard whitetail guy should be sending in for IA every year.

Southern il l. You can hunt the Shawnee national forest which is huge. You'd have a good chance at a nice buck. The tags are a little pricey though, I think around $400 for a non resident.

Pulling out some studs on public land where I'm at in wisconsin. Cheap tags and low to moderate pressure. A couple campgrounds with modern amenities right in the heart of the public ground

ND whitetail tags for archery are over the counter. Hunting is good and chances are you will see plenty of deer and there are some respectable bucks.

I know our focus here is Public Land, but I've had great luck in Kansas over the years by paying a trespass fee on a farm and DIY after that. Never paid more than $750. Son and I killed 4 P&Y class bucks out of the same cedar tree.
Also, consider using a boat for access on public lakes and streams. That can open up a lot of opportunity.

Few thoughts for you.
North Dakota has easy to get tags and run about $272? Tons of access and seem to be lots of nice bucks, plus early season startup.
South Dakota has become like a second home to me. We've gone there 5 years running now and I'm already yearning to get back. Tag is $286 and some absolute bruiser bucks there.
Minnesota and Wisconsin will get you that classic Midwestern Whitetail experience without breaking the bank. Tags are reasonable and a variety of different habitats to choose from to hunt.
Kentucky has been a bit of a sleeper state but gaining popularity. Early season startup and good public access with less hunting pressure.

Kansas isnt out out of the question, I guess the typo might have worked out. What kind of public land opportunities exist there? Access easy? Anytime in the woods is a good time, but of course the experience is what I am looking for. Thanks! Not Tha KS.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back