Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Out of State Whitetails

Your right seems a little funny but I am mainly looking for experience, I get a whitetail buck every year here in North Central Montana, (Milk River Provides) however just looking to get away and do something new. And thanks, I have family in Georgia so not out of the question.

Kansas isnt out out of the question, I guess the typo might have worked out. What kind of public land opportunities exist there? Access easy? Anytime in the woods is a good time, but of course the experience is what I am looking for. Thanks! Not Tha KS.

Online KDWPT WIHA atlas : https://ksdot.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=43e5b96582704fc6a8abe3b29c159a6f

Corps of Engineers have multiple impoundments with public access, and state Public Wildlife areas are also shown in the atlas.

If you are an archery hunter, you have almost three full months to hunt your buck. Rifle is 10 days starting the Wednesday after Thanksgiving.

All non resident hunters must draw the "any whitetail" permit (commonly known as the buck tag), but antlerless tags are OTC.

All non res hunters must produce their hunters safety card to hunt in Kansas.

Pheasant/quail starts middle of November, waterfowl opportunities abound as well. Fall turkey options cover 5 out of 6 turkey zones in the fall. And don't forget the opportunity to get a prairie chicken.

Not Indiana...there are zero giant whitetails here... and bow season is NOT in from Oct 1st til Jan 7th.....repeat...small spike bucks only here....you are welcome!

I've been researching a mid-west hunt a bit.It looks like northern Missouri is a real good.Of course Kansas has big deer not alot of pressure.Nebraska has some real nice bucks but I would hunt more central then western in Nebraska.Kansas and Nebraska have ALOT of walk in areas open to hunting.I don't know much on Iowa,Ill or the Dakotas.I just never thought they had much public land to hunt.I'm sure I'm wrong.But my research brings me to the missouri/Iowa border every time
If you want an eastern whitetail/bear hunt,I got you for that out here in Pa

Few thoughts for you.
North Dakota has easy to get tags and run about $272? Tons of access and seem to be lots of nice bucks, plus early season startup.
South Dakota has become like a second home to me. We've gone there 5 years running now and I'm already yearning to get back. Tag is $286 and some absolute bruiser bucks there.
Minnesota and Wisconsin will get you that classic Midwestern Whitetail experience without breaking the bank. Tags are reasonable and a variety of different habitats to choose from to hunt.
Kentucky has been a bit of a sleeper state but gaining popularity. Early season startup and good public access with less hunting pressure.

Well said. I think you will still need to apply for an out of state ND archery tag, but I don't think they're all that tough for a non-resident to draw. This one would be only a short drive for the OP being in Montana.

The tricky thing for taking a whitetail trip into a state like WI is that you're only planning on 5 days. If you're looking for a bruiser buck, you'll need to put in quite a few days of scouting in order to find an area that holds something decent. Or if you're not picky, there are quite a few public acres to be found in some of the best areas of WI that aren't hunted all that much. I'm sure you could use onX to find a honey hole to hang a stand in. I'm lucky to have grown up there and have a ton of family land to hunt, but there are some places that you'll have a good opportunity to run into a nice buck if you know what you're doing. Non-resident tags are about $160 I believe. Last year they did have a first-time archery license for half price at $80, which was really a good deal.

I have a buddy from MT who drew a ND tag and went up for the last week of the archery season. He hunted public and brought back a nice 130+ inch whitetail. I have had great success the past couple of years on central MT public land, but may be moving to Nebraska for a few years, so I am curious on a couple of these states as well!

On a Wyoming deer tag you can bow hunt and if that tag remains unfilled return to gun hunt.

Big advantage imho.

Michigan sucks don’t come here seriously.

if you are looking at N ID I would rather hunt NE WA over ID.. far better management.

not a free for all on the whiteys... ID is relentless on them and lots of hunters. They get no break... season opens Aug 30 and is pretty much open the entire time till Dec 24. Guys I know who are diehard whitetail hunters buy tags in WA for the same reason I mentioned. WA has a fraction of the pressure and hunting days available.

Northern MO has some pretty good opportunities. Under $300 and I went into a chunk of public ground with an either sex, anterless, and 2 turkey tags. Havent been there in 4 years, but we went for the early season opener. Saw some decent deer, but not much for solid age structure. From what im told those woods get flooded during rifle season and the timing of that season two weeks during the rut

I've been hunting NW MO public land for 3 years now and have had some great success. I see a decent number of deer each hunt compared to my home state of Michigan...which sucks as stated earlier in this forum...
1st year missed a 8pt that was around 140. 2nd year I talked a friend into going along and we both shot decent bucks. I shot a 8pt about 100" or so and he shot a 9 around the same size. We did see a few bigger bucks but no shots. This year I went alone and held out for a buck that would be a better class than I shot the year before. As luck would have it I scored on a nice 140" 12pt! My best buck to date.
The total for the trip from Michigan to Missouri for a 7 day hunt was only about $500 for travel and tag. Cheap over the counter tags and lots of opportunity.

Last edited:
if you are looking at N ID I would rather hunt NE WA over ID.. far better management.

Then why the are almost all the hunters in northern idaho from washington or oregon? When i talk to guys i meet they all say washington and oregon have runied deer herds and aint worth hunting anymore. They say elk aint bad but deer is a no go! Idaho does have MANY management issues but i know i fill my tags there every year and with deer i am pretty selective.

Chris

Wow. I grew up in NE Washington and still hunt there, and nothing could be further from the truth. That fact alone that the WDFW is "managing" for white tails in NE Washington is a joke considering what that has done to the mule deer in that area. Oh well, WDFW really has done well across the board.

Wow. I grew up in NE Washington and still hunt there, and nothing could be further from the truth. That fact alone that the WDFW is "managing" for white tails in NE Washington is a joke considering what that has done to the mule deer in that area. Oh well, WDFW really has done well across the board.

Nobody out west truly manages whitetails... Ill take what WA offers in seasons over ID in a deer management way, now I like hunting the seasons ID offers and being able to use any weapon. WA limits weapon choice and available days to hunt is a mere fraction of what ID allows for whitetail hunting its not even close in WA... you keep hunters out of the woods equals less pressure and far less deer taken when you CAN'T hunt! also I am not talking about any mule deer hunting or management. When you run into "guys from WA" in ID hunting almost nobody is targeting whitetails they head out of state to chase muleys and elk or if they are chasing whiteys is cause they didn't fill their tag and still have one or bought one elk hunting to have on hand. Very few head to ID to specifically target whitetails! when I do its cause Im hunting both states, not cause it sucks here. I am a avid archery whitetail hunter in NE WA for 30 years! I hunt both sides ID and WA running trail cams all summer and fall getting thousands of pics and I will tell you right now I find 4-1 huge bucks on cam in WA over ID. Huge isn't a 135" buck..Im talking 150" plus deer.

Last edited:
Some of that crappy WA whitetail hunting . 151-194” bucks and I have yet to arrow one in ID over150”

A57F0672-AAD5-463D-AC55-7B1E3614EFE1.jpg
45A80365-D9F8-4B09-A78C-0F956FD0EFC5.jpg
B22FA507-3CC3-4058-A9C0-9D26A5C151D0.jpg
204A0255-E19C-4DB4-A01E-961317B069F6.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back