Pac Boots: Schnee's vs Kenetrek

Timberhawk

I need to replace my pac boots/cold weather hunting boots after 15+ years. I've owned Schnee and have been happy, but recently bought some Kenetrek Mountain Extreme and have been happy with them too. They just aren't warm enough for stand hunting in cold weather. Any recommendations on Schnee's vs Kenetrek pac boots? Thanks in advance.

I wear Lacrosse Ice men for bad cold when you are going to sit all day. They are a bit heavy to walk in.

Have you had the Schnee's rebuilt yet? As long as the upper leather is okay they can replace the bottom rubber part.

Dan

Bought the Kenetrek 13" grizzly 6 or 7 years ago and have zero complaint. I typically use them for ice fishing and on those sub zero calling days. Spent many days during those sloppy wet spring ice fishing days and bone dry at the end of the day. As with my other Kenetreks, they are treated a couple times a year with leather dresssing. I know a few others that also love their Schnee's ........ quality choices is a good thing.

I looked at both and ended up buying a pair of Hoffman pacs made in Kellogg, ID. Actually, I bought 2 pair. Initially I bought a pair of 14" double insulated mountain extremes but they're just too warm so I decided to keep them for ice fishing and treestand hunting. I then bought a pair of the 12" Guide pac boots which are a thinsulate boot similar to the boots I assume you're looking at. So far, so good. I'm pretty happy with them.

Have you had the Schnee's rebuilt yet? As long as the upper leather is okay they can replace the bottom rubber part.

Dan

My Schnees are the shorter velcro-close type that are good for around town and around the yard. My wife and I use them every day and they are going strong, but they pretty much relegated to home use, for good or for bad. The boots that wore out on me are some off-brand that did what was asked, but the rubber and leather is done ne for. They didn’t owe me anything.

I looked at both and ended up buying a pair of Hoffman pacs made in Kellogg, ID. Actually, I bought 2 pair. Initially I bought a pair of 14" double insulated mountain extremes but they're just too warm so I decided to keep them for ice fishing and treestand hunting. I then bought a pair of the 12" Guide pac boots which are a thinsulate boot similar to the boots I assume you're looking at. So far, so good. I'm pretty happy with them.

I’ve heard a little about Hoffman. I love a good value, but also like to go by the buy-once, cry-once concept. How do they compare to the alpha brands?

I have no doubt there are a few brands out that that are equal to or better than the "alpha brands" but don't have the budget to get the word out.

I have no doubt there are a few brands out that that are equal to or better than the "alpha brands" but don't have the budget to get the word out.

Exactly. Schnee’s were the beta-brand that was a great value when my dad and I started using them, but now are $320ish for the pair I’m looking at. I still might pay that to go with what I know works, but thought I’d get some input from the masses.

Can anyone else compare/contrast the Hoffman vs Schnee and/or Kenetrek? Thanks!

I bought Schnees years ago before they jacked the prices up. Will have mine rebuilt because that is still a good value with Schnees. The Hoffmans I have had were of similar quality and are what I would buy today if looking for a new boot. At least 50 to 75 bucks less than the Schnees. Hoffmans have been building boots for a long time and I can't say I have heard anything bad about them or their service.

I expect they're at least as good although I don't have first hand knowledge. I stopped at the Hoffman store/plant on the way back from an elk hunt not too long ago and was impressed with everything I saw. It's my understanding the lower portions come from the same "foreign" source for all 3 brands, they are just assembled here in the US. I doubt there is much component difference between these 3 so I went with customer service and price as my deciding factor.

I am interested in this too. I have Kenetrek mountain extremes and like them just fine, seem to do great in cold weather mountain hunting, but they look EXACTLY the same as the Schnees (other than color), so I might give the Schnees pacs a try when I am due. Can anyone honestly tell me what the difference between Kenetrek and Schnees is? Other than the sole pattern I swear they are the same boot.

I’m giving the Hoffman double insulated mountaineer pac boots a try. They’ll be too warm to constantly walk around in, but my main need is treestand hunting for whitetail. Two hours is a long time to have frozen feet. They’ll be a Christmas present from my wife. I wish she spoon-fed me present ideas like this, but am certainly appreciative that she listens to requests. I’ll let you all know how they compare. Thanks to all who gave their $0.02

I use the Muck Artic Pro, I didn't believe in them at first when I saw my buddy wearing them on the ice in -20 degree weather but man are they warm. They go up to just below the knee and keep that whole area warm.

I love my Schnee's Hunter pac boots. Warm and dry comfortable. I just wore them every day, al day, for a week pheasant hunting in North Dakota and I love them. Temps were in single digits with windchill well below 0. The only other brand I have experience with is Sorel and there is no comparison.

If you stand hunt you need a Felt Pac boot. I wear Lacrosse Icemans but they suck to walk long distances in. I ordered some Schnees Hunters in size 12 after what I read here but they were to small. I wear 12d in Scarpas, Kenetrek, Redwings.

Could never go wrong with Kenetrek but I don't think I'd really put them in my top 3 list for cold weather stand hunting. Quality boot but in my opinion they are built more for hiking and not sitting in a stand.

I wanted to try the Schnees hunters for shed hunting/hiking. If it was for sitting I would have bought the felt pacs.

Another option is overboots. Snowgear, Neos. I work outside year round and I started wearing over boots a couple years ago. I wear snowgear and they keep my feet warm all day with my steel toed boots in them. I carry them to my stand and put them on there.

Back