Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Chama Bound Tomorrow A.M.!

Well this time tomorrow, hopefully, I'll be rolling toward Chama for mine and my dad's elk hunt. We are going through an outfitter that leases about 100,000 acres in the area. I'm not much on outfitters, but it isn't costing my dad or I any more than the tag price and transportation out there. My dad's close friend, who has made a good life for himself and is very wealthy, gifted the hunt to my dad and I.

This thread covers the details https://onyourownadventures.com/hunt...cting-emotions

My dad and I got started out hunting out west late, or at least late in his life. He turned 72 in May, and he is great shape for his age, but I realize that he doesn't have a whole lot of DIY elk hunting left, so I swallowed my pride and booked the hunt for us, hoping that he can get his elk after a few unsuccessful DIY trips. Hopefully, the elk are moving. It looks pretty warm there this week, but next Tuesday(our opening day) looks cold and snowy. I hope they are starting to migrate since the outfitters leases a lot of land along the corridors. From the sounds of it, he has a pretty good operation and averages about 80% success. I'd rather not mention the name of the outfitter until I can give them a fair assessment upon my return. I'll try to keep the thread updated, assuming I have service. Wish us luck!

P.S. On a side note, I rented a cabin in Chama for my mom, wife and 3 year old son, so they will be only a few miles away! Should be a great time, no matter if we are successful or not.

Sounds like a neat trip with the whole family going alone. The Chama area is some neat country and you should see elk if that outfitter has that much land to hunt. Good luck and definitely keep the thread alive!

Looking fwd to the unfolding of this hunt. IMHO no pride to be swallowed, you are very fortunate for the opportunity in that area.

Good luck on the trip. Enjoy the gorgeous country and every part of the adventure with the family. All the money in the world can't replace time. By hiring an outfitter you take away the stress of worrying about every tiny detail.
    No need to feel guilt in taking an opportunity all of us would jump at. There is plenty of time to embrace the agony and glory of a DIY adventure in the future.
    Talk with your guide and let him know what you are looking for in the hunt, make it your own, and tip appropriately.
    Enjoy!

Brother in law hunts Chama with an outfitter regularly. Has not had a bad hunt. Started just to hunt, but the group of guys connected. I think they hunted 3 years together.

This year he drew cow elk in NM 36. Kidney stones and stints after kind of blew his plans.

Good luck! looking forward to the story.

Sounds like fun!! Good luck and safe travels.
    I work so I can hunt

I have hunted that area for 28 years. I hunted the Quinlan Ranch for 20 years, then management changed, and I continued to hunt with the original group but on a different Ranch in the same area. If you have any questions, PM me.

Good luck

good luck on your hunt, looking forward to following this thread
    Soli Deo Gloria - To GOD alone the GLORY

Good luck & have fun. Beautiful country.

Good luck to you and your Dad.

Have a great trip. I love Chama.

Smile

My son got to play in the snow for a little while coming through the pass on 17 today. It's the first snow he has gotten to play in. Partly because we haven't gotten much in Ohio the last few years, but also because when we have gotten snow, he has been sick and usually in the hospital. The smile he had playing in the snow was the highlight of my life so far. I could care less if I kill a 400" bull now, but it would be nice
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by dcopas78 View Post
    My son got to play in the snow for a little while coming through the pass on 17 today. It's the first snow he has gotten to play in. Partly because we haven't gotten much in Ohio the last few years, but also because when we have gotten snow, he has been sick and usually in the hospital. The smile he had playing in the snow was the highlight of my life so far. I could care less if I kill a 400" bull now, but it would be nice
    Do yourself a favor and make time to take the train ride!!! Well worth it.
    DISCLAIMER: Many of my posts are made via phone, aurocorrect and tiny keyboards are my enemy....
    http://www.predatoroptics.com/
    http://theronoptics.com

^^^^this... Enjoy your time and I hope you have the time of your life!

Sounds like a fun family trip! Good luck!

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by dcopas78 View Post
    Good to see that boy enjoying himself. Beautiful road that 17...you can certainly tell when you're in New Mexico...looks like a John Wayne movie.

..keep the reports coming.

Dad and I are both tagged out. Tough hunting. A lot of small bulls and cows. I saw over 300 myself, but lack of snow and cooler weather has kept the big bulls in the dark timber and high. They were only out at the last few minutes shooting light and leaving the meadows way early. You had very limited time to get on them. We both got small bulls but couldn't be happier. It has been a great trip so far. We are going to spend a few more days sightseeing while we are here. I'll post pics when I get to better internet.

Congrats! Looking forward to the pics

congrats dcopas, can't wait for the pics.
    "You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, WWI fighter pilot

"Never mistake hope for a plan." Herman Edwards

Super! Glad you are able to share some hunts like this with your dad! That alone is priceless IMO.

Glad you enjoyed the trip. In the end that is what it is all about.

Congrats ! I'm sure you will be back to Chama as soon as you can. It certainly is an addicting place. Try a breakfast burrito (smothered in green chile) at Fina's in Chama. You will forever thank me for it.
    Last edited by Laelkhunter; 11-30-2017 at 06:54 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast